Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new here and worried

Hi All! I'm new here and had an experience this morning that is causing me some elevated concern. This is the first time I have ever discussed my ordeal with anyone other than family or Dr.'s. I don't know were to begin so I will give a little history and my current concern.
I'm turning 37 in August. I just gave birth to my 3rd child 2 months ago(1 month prematurely due to my Medical complications). My spinal problems were first found in March 2001, when I was about 21 but symptoms had had been coming and going for years. In Nov 2000 a Dr went so far as to remove my gallbladder in emergency surgery because my pain had to be from a faulty gallbladder, even though I had no gall stones and was not overweight. What was wrong was not heard of in an active young woman. The gallbladder came out, I went home that day, recovered quickly and returned to work full time 2 weeks later. Still had that same terrible pain that I had prior to surgery and was told it was in my head, nothing could be done. Then one beautifully warm day in late March everything changed. I fell down leaving my office building and noticed the my left leg was 'asleep'. It stayed that way my entire 2 hour commute home, and continued to stay numb well past midnight. My boyfriend made me go to local er. Were they did CT of brain and sent me home w/order for Doppler next day. My PC sent me to Pittsburgh next day instead and finally things started to come together.
During full MRI study for lesions due to MS a young Neurologist noticed something on my thoracic study and referred me to an excellant neurosurgeon. He did a Myleogram immediately confirmed that I had a very large bone growth at T6-t7 level with 'encroachment' on spinal cord. He said I need surgery. I said let's do it, he said it's not that simple. He gave me a ref feral to a competitors neurosurgery clinic and said that a young neuro surgical oncologist there was my best bet. All this happened in a span of 1 month. I had my consult and it was determined that if I didn't have surgery I would end up paralyzed within a year or sooner if I moved wrong. But if I had surgery it would have to be a 'trans thoracic approach' with a high risk of paralysis and many complications. They told me and my family to think about then come back in 1 week. I went w/surgery. We decided in May 2001, a huge group of surgeons was put together and then I saw the Dr. Weekly til they couldn't wait any longer. My surgery was done Oct. 25, 2001. It took 3 teams of surgeons, 3 blood transfusions and 16 hours from the 1st cut until I was closed up. I was placed in icu for 5 days. I had drainage tubes placed in my left lung to assist in draining fluid that formed from re inflation. Luckily they were able to use pieces of my own ribs for my t6-7 fusion. The recovery was long and hard. My pain was/is worse than b4. But I CAN walk and that was our goal. My lumbar spine ended up wrecked because of this 1st surgery. I stopped having l5-s1 disctomeys after #2. I was in PM on heavy opiates from 2001-2008. I chose to stop meds because they took over my life. I have learned to live w/the pain. Yeah, there are some bad days but my head is clear. Plus I had my 1st baby in 2010. My last 2 months ago. <3

I was able to have epidural in '10 w/some placement problems but it took. My epidural in '12 didn't fully take effect and in '14 they did spinal but had problem w/placement. The Dr said there is 'exstensive bone growth pretty high up in my epidural space' .' Anyone ever hear of this?

Finally why I'm posting. This am I got out of bed to get crying new born and immediately fell down' with no feeling in right leg. Toook 10 min to regain use to get off floor. I should note have left foot drop and left perineal nerve damage. Right leg Never had problems b4. My lower back has beeen throbbing since pregnancy. I'm sorry so long. Looking for any insight. Thanks


Sign In or Register to comment.