Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

chronic pain

I am a 16 year old male. I have been having really bad pain in my back for a few months. My foot has been feeling really numb and painful and the back of my thigh and butt. My pain seems to get worse when ever i sit or stand for a long time and bend over. My doctor gave me soma and it helps a bit. I am also taking acetaminophen. I had a MRI done and this is what it says.
L1-2: i see no canal or foraminal stenosis.
L2-3:Minimal spondylosis is seen. Neural foramina only minimally encroached. AP dimension of the thecal sac measures 13-14 mm.
L3-4: Minimal spondylosis only mildly encroach on the neural foramina. AP dimension of thecal sac measures 11-12 mm at the midline.
L4-5: Subtle spondylosis is seen. Ap dimension of thecal sac measures 9-10 mm at the midline. Lateral recesses are borderline stenotic. Mild bilateral ligamentum flava hypertrophy and facet osteoarthritis are seen. Neural foramina are mildly stenotic without compressing the exiting L4 nerve root sheaths.
L5-S1: there is mild to moderate spondylosis and mild disc bulging. Neural foramina show mild to moderate encroachment without compressing the exiting L5 nerve root sheaths. AP dimension of the thecal sac measures 11-12 mm.
1.There is mild canal stenosis at L4-5 due to a combination of mild congenital spinal stenosis with mild spondylosis and disc bulging, and ligamenta flava hypertrophy. The spinal canal at L3-4 and L5-S1 are low-normal. No canal narrowing at L1-2 or L2-3 is identified.
2. The neural foramina from L2-3 -L4-5 show minimal mild encroachment. Nerual foramina at L5-S1 shows moderate encroachment. No compression of the exiting nerve root sheaths are seen at the foraminal level.
3.No soft disc herniation is observed.

The doctor said that my spine is to narrow. I am getting some injections in my back soon and if that helps i will do physical therapy. If the injections don't help i will have to get surgery. I just want to better understand whats wrong with my back if my doctor is correct about everything.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/22/2014 - 3:26 PM
    You know that we can't comment on your MRI. Who went over the report with you? Was it a spine surgeon? If it was, why would you think that he wasn't telling the truth, when going over treatment options with you?
    Mild is one of the words you should be focused on, the fact that the report states mild and in one case moderate.
    Did/do you play sports? If so, that could play a part in your spine issues.
    The injections may help to relieve the symptoms and surgery may not be necessary. There are many treatment options available to treat you and you are young.

• Many people get tremendous relief from injections & physical therapy. Physical therapy is commonly used to help reduce pain & build your core muscles to avoid further damage. I wouldn't worry about surgery. If the subject does come up again my advise is always to get a second or third opinion. I'd concentrate on less invasive measures for now. Good luck ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • virus6hvvirus6h Posts: 21
    edited 06/23/2014 - 1:57 AM
    I just started to get physical therapy last Thursday. I have been doing all the exercises and my back has been feeling worse since I started physical therapy. But the physical therapist said it should take 4-6weeks before my back starts to feel better. I guess by then if my back doesn't feel better I will go back to the doctor.