Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Broken back T-1 to T-8

I was in an auto accident on May 28th of this year. I suffered a broken back t-1 to t-8. Broken ribs and bruised lung along with a major concussion. I have already had lower back fusion 4 yrs ago. I have an old injury of a bulging disc in my neck and chronic neck and shoulder strain. I'm tired just explaining all this. Anyway, I am home after 8 days in the hospital. I am physically and mentally not ok. I am still in a lot of pain and have out of the blue crying spells when I think about the accident. I see a psychiatrist this week. Has anyone had surgery to fix a broken back as severe as mine? I feel pretty lucky that I am able to use my hands and feet now. I don't see the surgeon until July 1st. The trauma dr said to do things as tolerated. What does that mean exactly? One side note, I was not very active prior to the accident due to my chronic pain from the lower back fusion and my neck. So who can tell me how soon I can do normal activities. It hurts to walk and I walk very slow. If I sit, I have to have my neck supported. I can't eat at the kitchen table because it hurts to put my arms on the table. Is this all normal? Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to reading your responses.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I'm sorry for the accident......You are going to continue to have pain for some months, while your body heals.....as far as post op activities go, they usually are limited to no bending, lifting, or twisting, and no sitting or standing for more than 10 minutes, rest as needed. No picking up anything over the weight of a gallon of milk. No driving, and walking as tolerated , multiple times per day, but not to overdo it.
    I would call your surgeon's office for more explicit instructions , since your surgery was of a traumatic nature and to make sure that there aren't any other restrictions that he wants you to follow.
    Depression is common after any back surgery, but given the traumatic nature of your injury, it is essential that you see someone who can help you work through that.