Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Surgery

Apparently my neck is a mess and I need surgery. I have a positive Hoffman response and there is pressure on my spinal column from multiple discs.

My issue is that I have had three laminectomies that failed on my back, and now have nerve damage to my right L5/S1 Nerve. There is bone on bone in the lower back, along with scars, growths of calcium, nerves all tangled up and glued together due to scaring, and much more.

My concern is that my neck if fused will not do much better. To make matters worse I am a singer, so they can't do a frontal approach but would need to do anterior. I am terrified that my fusion would not take, I'm terrified that I'll end up a quadriplegic on a vent. I have multiple issues with antibiotics, allergic to dyes, and have serious reactions to pain meds no matter what I take. My stomach just rebels and I end up very ill. I had a form of antibiotic colitis due to one surgery called C Difficil colitis that nearly killed me. Any time I take antibiotics I risk it reoccurring. I might as well play Russian Roulette.

Involved are most if not all the discs in my neck. What are they going to fuse this to...air!!!!???? Don't you need healthy discs above or below? I have none! My friend who is a nurse was telling me that if they slip I will end up on a vent, and that was not helpful!

C2-C3 left facet hypertrophy is noted. This causes mild left neural foraminal stenosis. No central stenosis is seen
C3 C4 dusc dessication is noted. Bilateral facet hypertrophy is noted left greater than right. Disc osetophyte complex is noted with disc bulging and bilateral uncovvertebral hypertrophy, right greater than left. These findings can cause mild righ t neural foraminal stenosis. No central canal stenosis is seen. Mild central canal stenosis is seen.
C4 C5 disc space narrowing is noted. Anterior osteophyte formation is noted. Prominent degenerate enplate chanes are noted. Anterior osteophyte formation is noted. Minimal retrolisbesis is noted. Bilateral facet hyertrophy is noted. Disc osetophyte complex is noted with bilateral uncovertebral hypertrophy. Prominent right paracentral disc herniation is noted which mildly compesses the spinal cord. No spinal cord signal abnormality is seen. Mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy is noted. These findings cause moderate to severe central canal stenosis. Right paracentral disc herniation midly obstructs the entrance to the right neural foramen.
C5 C6 disc space narrowing is noted. Anterior ostephyte formation is noted. Bilateral facet hypertrophy is noted. Disc osteophyte complex is noted with disc bulging and bilateral oncovertebral hypertrophy. These findings cause moderate central canal stenosis. Disc bulging mildly indents the spinal cord. Very mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis is seen.
C6 C7 ver mild anterolisthesis is seen. BHilateral facet hypertrophy is noted. Right uncovertebral hypertrophy is noted. These findsings cause very mild right neural foraminal stenosis. No central canal stenosis.
C7 Ti mild bilateral facet hypertrophy is noted without central canal or neural foraminal stenosis seen.
C5 C6

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sorry to hear about your dilemma, nobody on the forum is qualified to give advice but maybe there are some who can relate. I can only suggest you get as many professional opinions as possible before you make any decision.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Honestly the chances that they slip are very small and you chances of it not happening are better by finding a surgeon you like who really can connect with you or make you comfortable with this. I have had 2 fusions, occiput-C2 in total and am in pain however my whole story has not been a normal type thing and has been quite a rare experience. I know it can be scary because there are so many what ifs but the pain and nerve damage may go away with a fusion ( I say may because I am not a surgeon) because the bone is one instead of grinding and sliding on tip of each other. Go see a surgeon or a few to see what you options are, I know that doesn't help much but it is all that can really be done right now.
  • If I were you, I would find the largest teaching hospital near you, and consult with at least two other surgeons. That way, they can go over your options with you, and if they all agree, you can pick the one you feel the most confident in, and go with them. Larger medical centers tend to have doctors who are top in their field and they deal with more complex cases on a regular basis.
    We all can understand your fears, but the reality of the surgeon slipping during surgery is very, very, very slim.....these guys undergo years, decades to establish themselves during these surgeries, and are very, very, very careful to not to cause more damage.
  • If you decide to consult with other surgeons, it may be helpful to ask if there are other surgical procedures aside from fusion that would help give the spinal cord more room. I had severe cervical spinal canal stenosis on multiple levels, and my neurosurgeon who recommended a laminoplasty (I also consulted with an orthopedic surgeon, who recommended the fusion). I did undergo the laminoplasty, and it was a success in terms of decompressing my spinal cord.
    I understand your fears about surgery; no one goes into spinal surgery without anxiety and fear; your other health condition certainly need to be weighed. However, without surgery and decompression of the spinal cord and spinal nerves, there is always the possibility of more serious, and permanent, nerve and spinal cord damage. I'm happy to answer any questions your might have re: my experience. I'll be thinking of you as make your decision.