Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post.

As many of you may know, one of the side affects of long term morphine use (endone, oxycontin),is constipation.
I have found that there is a research study going into a new medication.

What do you think about research studies/ clinical trials?

Has anyone participated in one of these before? If so what was your experience?

• Sorry to hear you are dealing with that but like you
    said so many of us are. That problem because I was
    stupid has led to major health issues for me.
    My old Doctor that retired is now head of a research program
    and has contacted me to participate and I am going to jump
    on everyone that applies to any issues I have.
    Maybe others disagree but I feel any help you can get is worth it right?
    Wish you well
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Most constipation issues can be managed by eating plenty of fiber, consuming enough water, and the use of stool softeners. Metamucil and other over the counter fiber products are essential in helping to maintain proper colon health.
    As far as clinical trials go, some of our members have been participants in various trials, for new devices and I'm sure for some therapies, and medications if they are available in their area. We even have information on some clinical trials under the resources tab at the top of the forum page.
  • I have been using both mirelax and focal ax to help ease with constipation. I have participated in a research study but it was with a psychologist who didn't understand what had happened with my pain journey and told me that the pain was all in my head. So although I didn't see any help it did help me find the psychologist that I currently see.
  • I have a lot of issues too but I keep M.O.M...Milk of Magnesia, the cherry flavor, in my refrigerator at all times. A tbsp and a half, drink about a half a glass of water and go to bed. In the morning when you go to the bathroom you'll feel much better!!
  • A Magnesium pill at bedtime can really move things along too. I made the mistake of taking it it the morning for a while. I had chronic diarrhea until I put 2 and 2 together.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • I take Metamucil everyday which works well as a preventative measure. If I forget to take the Metamucil for a few days and am backed up I take either a pill that has senna and docusate in it or Osmolax if I have it (called Miralax in the U.S.). The senna w/ docusate is cheap and works fast, overnight, but can cause painful stomach cramping and urgency. The Osmolax is gentle but not as fast acting and costs more.