Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-op lower lumbar spinal fusion (L4/L5/S1) w/laminectomy pain

Hello! I'm new here as of today :) I'm 39 yrs of age, female and..

My questions stems from a post-op bi-level lower lumbar spinal fusion w/laminectomy to treat spondylolisthesis and DDD..
I wasn't told of needing a laminectomy by my surgeons.. Just pedicle screws and rods.. Is a laminectomy standard procedure for this surgery?

Ok ~ moving on to a more important predicament that has caused me great suffering and have had injections to the site and no the site I'm talking about isn't my back(it doesn't respond well to inj.). The site I'm referring too is my sacrum down in between buttocks/coccyx.. Anyone experience the wretched debilitating pain? I'm bed ridden for most part.. Doctors are baffled on what to do.. Tests show coccyx is fine.. I'm wondering if it's not sacroiliac joint dysfunction. Pain extends to my buttocks sometimes groin.. Also hips are impaled by this.. I'm about to lose my mind over this pain. I go to try and sit and it's excruciating , so off to bed I go(laying on my side). Even my bed isn't good enough, I hafta put a queen sized air mattress on top of a bed that at one time felt great on my back(b4 surgery that is).
I've tried seat cushions.. Ex.. Coccyx cushions and they don't help one bit.
Anybody going through this with a diagnosis/prognosis/treatment? This pain is just horrendous. I'm on NO narcotics/opioids, due to allergies to pain meds, so I have just been suffering inhumanely.
Any/all help, advice is so appreciated. Thank you and God bless!

• Are the allergies serious? Surely it's better to put up with their effects than constant pain. I take tramadol and it helps.
  • to put up with the constant pain from a fusion without any decent pain killers .I could not do it ..carnt you take oxycontin ??
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Do nerve or muscle relaxer meds help? Are you sure you're allergic to all narcotics? What kind of allergies if you don't mind me asking? I know people who have itching & others with stomach problems & some with black-outs etc. but I don't know anyone who can't take any of them. Sometimes you need another medication to combat side effects...another med ugh! But sometimes the pain relief is worth it.

There are the usual ice, heat, physical therapy, airomatherapy etc but to be honest I don't know how much I could do without medications...

Please chat a bit more & we'll wrack our brains for you. It must be terrible pain. Activity is important after any surgery...
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • rb41rrb41 Posts: 14
    edited 07/11/2014 - 9:52 AM
    Looks like we have a bit in common... I'm 41 years old now and in 2007 I had the fusion and in May of 2014 I had my laminectomy at L-3,L-4. The reason I had the laminectomy was all the pain I felt from my buttocks (sciatica) on both sides, right leg below my knee was numb, and the bottom of both feet were like stepping on rocks with each step. My pain management before the surgery in May only consisted of Loratabs for all day pain and 1 injection which I knew the injections just dont help me. Right after post-op I took 30mg 4 x's day roxycodone for 2 months... I of course grew a tolerance to these pills and needed to get off of them. Now I take Suboxone 2 x's daily to help my need for these roxys. Suboxone also helps tremendously with the pain
    My surgeon also prescribed 6 weeks of physical therapy for rebuilding my strength in my lumbar area of my back. It seems to help although the first 3 weeks were hell. I'm unemployed now due to all this and have filed over a year ago for disability. I can walk without a cane for 14 minutes and all day sitting, standing, laying down just managing my pain. Reading other peoples stories like yours helps me get through the day. Thank you.