Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chances of healing

I've never been superstitious...but Friday the 13th did me in this year :/

I was driving into work and sneezed while looking left. I was pretty uncomfortable for the rest of the day, but I could function. The next day I went to a walk-in clinic - I couldn't turn my head and was barely able to get out of bed on my own...the Dr. said I had an "upper thoracic sprain". He told me to apply ice or heat (whichever felt better) and gave me flexareal. Well, three days later & a total of ~5 hours of sleep due to a knife in the neck sensation & my left arm constantly falling asleep, I broke down and went to the ER. They did an MRI and said I had a bulging disc at C4-C5 and a "ruptured" disc at C6-C7. I was put on steroids and given pain meds...as well as ibuprofen (to use after my 6 days of steroids).

I saw an orthopedic, who set me up to get some spinal shots which happen next week, and gave me a choice of PT or Chiropractic treatment in the interim. I chose the latter because it's done well for my wife. The chiropractor seems competent - she's given me stretches to do, which appear to be the same ones PT folks recommend. I don't seem to be improving much...and it's not giving me a warm & fuzzy.

The numbness in my arm has subsided somewhat....but I still have a sharp pain in my left shoulder. I was given lidocaine patches and stronger pain meds by my PC doctor. The pain meds don't seem to work other than helping me get to sleep for a few hours. The lidocaine patches were magic for a couple of weeks, but stopped working a few days ago for some reason.

Not sure what to expect next...err, I guess I'm looking to see if there is any relief in sight. I have no idea what to expect with the spine shots next week...do they usually help? If not, what are the best non-surgical options available? I'm in grad school, so surgery won't be an option for at least another 7-8 months.