Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fast advice....Deadline

To shorten things up....(20 years old) I have had an L5 vertebrae fracture and a herniated disc that is pretty well shot and can't be fixed with a Discektomy, (Injury happened 3 months ago) so the doctor said I need to have a fusion soon. I took an EMG test last week that showed active moderate S1 nerve damage. I am getting the surgery approved from insurance right now and the surgery would need to be scheduled within a month of approval. Over the last few days almost all of my pain has subsided?!?! is this an anomaly? Do I wait a while longer to see what happens? Should I just cancel the whole thing? I don't want to cancel the surgery then the pain comes back. I don't understand how the pain could have just gone away because the fractured vertebrae is sitting on top of S1 nerve. FREAKED OUT.


  • I have herniated disc with spinal cord compression in my neck. Sometimes I have a few good days with minimal pain and I think "oh good, its getting better" and then it comes back, sometimes with a vengeance. It sounds like something to discuss with your doc though if you are not sure if it is still necessary. IM guessing he will say it is still necessary from what you have told us. Good Luck
    Tracie C
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 08/31/2014 - 3:44 PM
    I agree that you could just be having a good day, so I wouldn't rush into changing the plan. It may take some time for the insurance to approve the surgery and since your date isn't scheduled yet, I wouldn't stop the process. If you continue to be pain free, then I would have the discussion with your surgeon. It still doesn't change the issues you have, and you want to make sure that it won't cause additional damage should you decide to wait.

    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.