Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New guy here

rontechrrontech Posts: 7
edited 07/13/2014 - 2:26 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I am new on this site. I have had low back problems since I was 26, I am 53 now. In 2002 I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis on the R. side at the L4-L5 level. In 2004 I had a laminotomy/foramenotomy on R. Side at the L4-L5 level. Outcome was great, until about 2009, then pain started up again but on the left this time. Then pain returned to the R. side. Pain was getting worse and worse over the next 5 years, so I went and had my primary Dr. send me to the neurosurgeon who did the 1st surgery. Primary Dr. also referred me to pain management in March, and he put me on disability immediately. Got MRI done and it showed severe central canal stenosis and moderate foramenal stenosis at the L4-L5 level. Got appt. with the neurosurgeon and had laminectomies done at the L4 and L5 vertebreas on May 30, 2014. The incision healed nicely and had all bandages off at the 2 week mark. I just reached the 6 week mark and the sciatica is gone on both sides immediately after surgery but I am still dealing with post surgical pain, which seems to be getting better. I still feel a small bit of leg pain on the right side but I think it's because the nerves are waking up after being pinched for so long. I get a strange sensation at the L4/L5 level where the laminas were taken out. Almost like I can feel the missing bone. Actually I can feel the missing bone when I touch that area on my back LOL. Neurosurgeon says I should be able to return to work the 1st week of Aug. Time will tell. I am a machinist so I have to be able to stand for 8 hours. This surgery was much more involved than the 1st one and it was very very VERY painful when I woke up in the hospital. They kept me for 3 whole days. I am in the process of weaning myself off the pain meds with the help of my pain Management Dr. Before surgery I couldn't stand or walk for more than just a few minutes at a time. Running was out of the question. Now I can walk a few miles with some discomfort and I actually went for a short jog last night. Pain didn't increase after the jog so things are finally looking up.