Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advise Please!

I'm not exactly sure what category to put this under, so I figure chronic pain made the most sense.

I have an extruded L4/L5 disc and my L5/S1 doesn't look to great either. I also have DDD in that area as well.

I've had this issue for about 14 years now. It was from lifting weights in college and lots of manual labor over the years. Now that I'm in my 30's it's becoming much more painful. My whole lower back has been in pain for many years, but it was manageable. Now, I have very sharp pain in my left lower back and left buttock. Also shooting pain down my leg.

I'm still (until recently) a very active person, hiking, climbing, running, biking etc. So as I'm weighing the options, I want something that will allow me to stay active while being reasonably pain free, and a procedure that lasts a long time. I'd rather deal the the pain and healing process now while I'm still young then wait until I'm older. Assuming it's the right decision.

I had a cortisone shot about 6 weeks ago. It did absolutely nothing for me. So I can get another one of those, but assuming it doesn't work, my next options are surgery from what I understand.

My options seem to be :
1. Discectomy
2. Micro Discectomy
3. Fusion
4. Stem Cells
5. Disc Replacement.

I personally do not want a fusion, and from what I'm reading, stem cells sound more like snake oil at this point.

I've also read if I get a Discectomy that I may not be eligible to get a Disc Replacement in the future. Not sure how true that is. The disc replacements are fairly new, and I have no idea how long they last, but from what I've read about a discectomy, I have a very high chance of reinjuring the disc in the future, which will require more surgeries etc.

I'm leaning towards the disc replacement, but I just wanted to get opinions form the people on this board who have been though this process already. I'm of course seeing doctors and getting their professional opinions too.

Please chime in with any questions, or advise. I'm open to hear anything and everything. I just want less pain, and more activity. I also want to make a choice that is good for the future.