Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new member with maybe a strange question

Hi I am a new member here obviously :) my maybe strange question is I have been going to a pain management clinic for about 4.5 years 3 years at once place in Charlotte then I moved to Raleigh for the rest. In the new place I have been having problems with my urine tests the old place I went off site 90% of the time and occasionally had to do those instant ones. Never ever had a problem got to the point that I didn't have randoms by the second year and they stopped making me carry my pills in each visit after 6 months. I took until the last 2 months Opana ER 10 mg x2 hydrocodone 10/325 x4 gabapentine 800 x3 and baclofen 10 mg x3 that is my PM stuff. The new place is done all on site half the time they cannot find the Opana but find "too much" HC. I have anonymity here so there really isn't a reason to lie so I am being honest when I say nothing changed really in the way I take my pills. I went from working first to third shift, don't see why that should matter. I started eating better dropped son weight started drinking more water to also help. Now the look at me like I am some kind of criminal. I work full time about 55-65 hours per week I make a little under 60k a year I am not rich but I not selling my pills as was suggested in a round about way by staying "I don't think you're selling your pills are you?" This was when the found no Opana at all. I go in every 2 months and get my this month an next month's prescription which is not something my other doctor did. This last time when I asked them why they're having problems when the DR I went to for 3 years never had a single problem the lady whom I had never seen before said I was either taking too much Opana or not enough and that is call it could be. When I confronted her on why in a year in a half had I never missed a pill in a pill count or called and asked for and early fill or a higher dose or any other drug seeking behavior rather than apologize and say maybe we should see what's up the cut my HC in half an upped my Opana to 3x per day like finding 60 wasn't hard enough. I also took myself off the gabapentine because I found it was giving my some judgement lapses and memory problems. God bless anyone still reading this rant because now I am getting to my two part question, has anyone experienced anything like this, and shod I find a new clinic? I do really like only having to go every 2 months. I think the problem with the tests had to be the clinic, the last one I took I dropped the cup in the toilet and when I asked for a new one the guy said it would be fine and the saddest part is that test came back perfectly.

• Backpain MomBBackpain Mom Posts: 7
    edited 07/18/2014 - 1:49 AM
    How awful! I've read a lot of research that says everyone metabolizes medicines differently, and this in turn could affect your urine tests. I read one story of an older lady who was being prescribed morphine, and she was taking it as prescribed by her PM dr; however, several of her urine tests came back negative for the morphine but positive for codeine. Since she was not being prescribed codeine, her PM dr dropped her. Long story short, the lady ended up hiring an attorney who was able to get the patient back in with the PM dr after providing evidence that morphine can metabolize and show up incorrectly as codeine depending on the type of urine test performed. The attorney had all of the patients old urine samples re-run under a different, more invasive urine analysis which proved in fact that the patient DID have the appropriate amount of morphine in her system based off of the prescribed amount and NOT codeine. Not everyone has an attorney who can go toe to toe with a patient's dr, which is unfortunate for those honest patients.

I wish you the best of luck in getting this urine analysis misrepresentation corrected.
    Herniated L4/L5, pinched L5 nerve, degenerative disc disease, ruptured L4/L5 with scoliosis
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • This is interesting! As you say, you have anonymity so I'm assuming you have no reason to fabricate this. Off the top of my head I can't think of a reason why the Hydrocodone would be high. Do you know how much higher than expected it was?

I'm guessing here. I tried Exalgo ER for a while & it didn't work at all. I'm experienced in ER meds so I KNOW it wasn't working. When I discussed this with my PM he said that others have had similar issues & he blamed the 'new' tamper proof coating that it has. He said "It goes straight through" some patients. I never had a urine test but I wish I had for interests sake. I've read that if you've had gastric bypass surgery you can have difficulty 'digesting' ER meds. Logic follows that if you've got digestive issues you might not be getting to the Opana inside the coating. Have you noticed a drop in pain control recently?

Other than that & 'we all metabolize things differently' as Backpain Mom said, I can't think of why. Your lifestyle changes could of effected both your metabolism & digestive system. It will be interesting to see if others share your predicament.

A test for how you metabolize meds is available. You can research it with a simple internet search & read discussions about it here by searching at the top.

It must be so hard to have your honesty doubted. I'm sorry.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 07/18/2014 - 5:25 AM
    show up on a urine screen depends on several factors and the threshhold for detection of a positive result, the type of urine screen being done, and whether or not that testing includes the metabolites for that particular medication.
    There are certain medications used in pain management that break down into other metabolites, and depending on the type of urine testing done, whether it is in office or sent out for gas chromotography/mass spectrometry, determines whether not the testing will show a particular medication, along with whether or not someone is taking the medication. Some medications require that a specific test be performed to detect that particular medication. Depending on when you last took a medication also plays a factor in how much of the metabolites are going to show in the urine test.
    Is the urine being sent out for confirmatory testing? If it is an in office test, usually those are simply 5 panel tests, for oxcodone, hydrocodone, benzos, thc, and stimulants......and that may not show the results for Opana. You should ask what particular testing is done in office and if it is sent out for confirmatory gc/ms testing. If not, then talk to your doctor about having blood testing done instead.
  • boothjbboothj Posts: 2
    edited 07/18/2014 - 6:42 PM
    Thanks folks. they never actualy said how much higher, just higher. The way the test was explained it shines light through there and shows whether or not the substance is present. They definitely aren't sending it anywhere because I got a sheet about Medicare, I have blue cross and blue shield, not paying for in-house urine testing coming up in some vote or other. When I asked why I got one they said that insurance companies follow Medicare so I should do what the paper which I think was right a letter to someone. As far as relief goes Opana has never worked great but it allows me to work and stay sharp too. I tried some other MS Contin and dilaudin not spelled correctly. They were too strong though.
  • If they are using a simple 5 panel test, that does not test for Opana metabolites, which is why it won't show up. As for your breakthrough med showing high, it could be because you took it closer in relation to the testing/screening done. The only other reason it may show high is if you are taking it more often than you are supposed to.
    Most urine screens ask when you last took your medications to ensure that the testing is within an accepted range.
    Shining a light through? I am not familiar with what testing that would be done in office? Are you sure that they don't send it out? They may be doing a screen in office, but sending it out for actual amounts ?
  • Sorry to hear about this experience, I think "dropping the cup" and then saying it will be "fine" would be a big red flag.