Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 herniated disc

edited 07/27/2014 - 9:17 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone. I'm looking for success stories of those who have had ALIF or TLIF surgery on L5-S1 specifically. I slipped and fell down my stairs 3 months ago. I have low back pain, tailbone pain and initially, nerve pain down my butt, hip and whole right leg. It has progressed to the left side as well. I have done PT at 2 different places, soon to be 3. The second tried myofascial release therapy which just caused pain to shoot down both legs the whole time. I have done 2 epidural steroid injections with no relief. Those caused horrible calf/foot cramps. I finally decided since everything I've done is just putting a bandaid on the problem, I self referred to a neurosurgeon. He looked at my MRI and said I have 2 choices. Continue with medical management or do surgery. He said I need either an ALIF or TLIF. My next appt is August 25th so I'm trying to research and make an informed decision once he answers all the questions I've come up with.

I am worried because I am an ICU nurse and haven't been able to work at the bedside for 3 months now. Also I am in the Navy Reserves and need to be able to do the physical aspects that come with that. I am looking for positive posts only because I've already read all the negative ones. I'm in Phoenix, AZ so I chose a neurosurgeon at EDIT

Post edited to remove name of specific medical facility. by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team