Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and need help!

Rear end car collision
Meds - Diclofenac Sod EC 75 mg twice a day and Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)10 MG twice a day

Prior to accident not aware of any problems with my neck other then stiffness due to stress and computer use. Accident accelerated the unknown conditions.

Went to Chiropractor and massage therapy in the beginning. Went to different doctor and was given Rx

Had MRI done - C2-4 moderate disc height loss and desiccation. Mile to moderate bilateral facet arthropathy. Facet arthropathy and uncovertebral hypertrophy contribute to mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

Cr-5 moderate disc height loss and desiccation. mild to moderate bilateral facet arthropathy. moderate to secere central canal stenosis. Disc material contacts the ventral cord with mild flattening and no abnormal cord signal. Facet arthropathy and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy contribute to moderate right and moderate to severe left neural foraminal stenosis.

C5-6 moderate disc height loss and desiccation. moderat bilateral facet arthropathy. Facet arthropathy and uncovertebral hypertrophy contribut to moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

C6-7 same - severe right and moderate to severe left neural foraminal stenosis.

C7-T1 the disc height and signal are normal. mild to moderate bilateral facet arthopathy. minimal disc bulge does not result in significant central stenosis. mild left neural foraminal stenosis.

advanced multilevel cervical spine disc and facet degeneration worst at C4-C5 where a broad based disc osteophyte complex causes moderate to severe central canal stenosis. Facet arthropathy and uncovertebral hypertrophy contribut to moderate right and moderately severe left neural foraminal stenosis.

Moderate central canal stenosis at C6-C7 with severe right and moderate to severe left meural foraminal stenosis.

Mild to moderate central canal stenosis at C5-C6 with and moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

Mild central stenosis at C3-C4 with mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.
No intrinsic cord signal abnormality.

NS said surgery. Not sure if it is C 4-5-6 or C5-6-7 - was in total shock and upset at that point. He said he would make small cut in my neck - insert life saver type thing. I said - OK your going to cut my neck, insert life save thing and NOT FUSE MY NECK....no I am going to fuse your neck.

It has been two months since I saw NS. I am trying to just cope. He said if I didn't have surgery and I had another accident or fall it would make it worse. Didn't say what and at that point I was too upset

I have been trying to figure out where and who to see for another opinion. I have been trying to get myself back to a full 45 hour week. I have worked two 6 hour days and three 9 hour days for the last two weeks. It hasn't been easy and I think I am in denial about how severe this may be.

I love to dance, ride motorcycles and horses. I do my own yard work and work 9 hour days with up to over 2 hours commute time driving. I live alone and I am scared of making a mistake. This is my life I'm dealing with and it scares me.

I haven't heard much good about fusion and need to know if there are any other options. Thanks

• TrishaTTrisha Posts: 7
    edited 08/02/2014 - 8:26 AM
    Hi Deb. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm also new to this forum. I had a fusion a year ago between L5-S1 and have gotten relief. I'm still healing but am SO glad I went ahead with the surgery. I had a disk replacement 360 fusion. I am a 33 yr old Neuromuscular Therapist and did everything I possibly could to avoid surgery. I was in a car accident 2 1/2 years ago and herniated the disk in between. I was having spells of fainting and vomiting from the P and severity of the injury. After xrays were taken I was told I had a spondylolisthesis that I was unaware of and had been living with most of my life. They recommended surgery I i was not mentally ready for that in the beginning, which is completely normal. I did 9 1/2 months of PT, stretched 4-6 hours a day, iced pretty much all day long, and kept having relapses. During the last episode of fainting and vomiting I experienced tunnel vision, numbness and tingling in my entire body, loss of control, disorientation, and I honestly thought I was having a heart attack a dying. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced. It was after this that I reconsidered surgery. I went to 5 different ortho's over time and am so blessed I found my doctor, Dr. EDIT in Atlanta. He told me that he was amazed i was walking and not in a wheelchair. He also told me the same thing your doctor did, that if I tripped, fell, or was in any type of accident I would most likely be paralyzed. I was astonished! I scheduled surgery that day for the following month. He performed arthroscopic surgery which is less invasive than regular procedures. So less time under, less chance of infection, less recovery time. I know your issues are in the cervical area so it it slightly different but by the sound of it surgery is going to be beneficial in your case. Fusions are not bad if you have problems like this. The spine needs to be stabilized so it does not damage the spinal cord causing irreversible damage.
    I wish I would have done it sooner than I did. By avoiding it you create a whole other set of issues and it actually takes you longer to recover from surgery due of the long time stress, aggravation, nerve impingement, muscle spasms, etc. You have to go into it with an optimistic pov and know that it will be much better than what you've been experiencing. I felt relief the moment woke up, even after being cut open front and back. I cried tears of joy and relief. I am still healing but am able to much more than before my procedure.
    I also am very active. I love to dance, exercise, garden. walk my dogs, swim, ect. So I am excited to be able to start doing the things Iove doing! Get as many opinions as possible, and if you're not comfortable with the doctor don't let them do the procedure, find someone else. I knew the moment I met Dr. EDIT he was the one to fix me. So make sure you find the right surgeon for YOU. I hope this helps ease your mind a little. Prayers for healing. :-)

Post edited to remove name of specific medical facility and doctors. by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
    Trisha Butler
  • While none of us want surgery, there are times when surgery is the only option, unless you are willing to risk paralysis or permanent damage. The cervical spine contains the spinal cord and compromise of the cord can result in permanent damage to other areas of your body.
    The idea of surgery should be enough to scare anyone, but there are times when it is necessary to preserve your ability to function and prevent further damage. With nerve damage, the longer you wait, the more opportunity for a less than great outcome.
    If you are not confident in what your surgeon consult told you, then make an appointment with at least two other surgeon and see what they tell you.......if they are in agreement, then it is something you need to consider.

Stenosis -Cervical