Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please Help

So many issues from neck on down due to an accident this winter + unknown degenerative issues.

One of my chief complaints has been weakness in my left quad and into the inside of the knee. I often feel like I have run a marathon, even if I have done nothing. I can't walk down stairs without holding onto railings, because my leg/knee are so shaky. This is not necessarily painful, but uncomfortable and debilitating. I've been doing pool therapy for all of my issues (multiple herniated and bulging discs/nerve compression) since Mid April. I've been doing "land" therapy for about two months. My left leg/knee continues to shake and appear unstable. In fact, it is just this week that the stationary bike actually registered that I was peddling. UG! There is a bit of atrophy in that leg as well. My right knee swelled twice+ the size of the other one in early July after having to stand for almost 8hrs. i assume due to favoring it? I'm a very active person. Despite that, I have taken time away from my "sports" due to life or other injuries. Never. And I mean, NEVER have I experienced such random and great weakness in any part of my body.

I saw the neurologist today. I don't have classic nerve damage signs with foot drop or poor reflexes. My strength tests (pushing against his hands) were ok, for the most part. The one that showed weakness he thought was due to guarding pain in my lower back. Most (if not all) of the compression/impingements are on the right side of my spine. My entire left side is what is messed up, though (neck, hand tingling, sciatica, leg weakness). He is not understanding how my left leg is the one being affected. I don't either?!?!

I asked for the EMG (eval for L4 Radiculapathy), because I can't wait anymore. It's not getting better and I'm not ok waiting another 3 months to see if it does. I will be patient with the rest of the pain/injuries. He told me it would not likely show anything. If it did, that means the original images (mri's) might not be accurate, or something has changed and they would need to do more imaging to find the cause.

I guess what I mainly need is understanding and affirmation that asking for this test was appropriate. I just need to know the reason for this weakness. If it's nerve damage, how do we fix it? If I'm being lazy (doubtful), what more can I do? Let's fix it so I can get back to my life. The other question is why would all of my symptoms be on the left side, when all of the diagnostics show my right side is the one affected?

Maybe one more question...Lyrica...could it help with the weakness?

Thanks for any feedback or support. I could really use it!

advertisement

Comments

advertisement