Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica Surgery?

My name is Brandi and I am a LMT in South Florida currently working and living with my significant other, a Chiropractic graduate of Palmer in Dport Iowa.

A little more about me.. recently (as within the last 6 months) I had a terrible accident when a ladder came out from underneath me and I dropped 8ft landing with my left foot under the ladder, my upper body on top. I shattered my navicular into pieces and had a bone graft from my calcaneous placed into the top of my foot with 13 screws and plate. Also with landing on top of the ladder I put my left arm out (FOOSH) injury and had a monteiggia variant Fracture babo type IV 13 screws and 1 long plate. I fractured my ulna in 2 places and fractured radius in a Y formation on the top. I had 2 orthopedists perform emergency surgery the next day after presenting to the ER.

Now after 4 long months I am no longer in a wheelchair and walking slowly but surely with a wicked hobble and abnormal gait which is how this relates to my gait/sciatic pain and has become worse since walking again.

Throughout the last 8 years I have had some sciatic pain that has made my life miserable for days and then subsides. Usually starting on the right side, then visits the left side and dissipates after 2 weeks. This would happen 3 to 4 times a year prior to my fall. Now, that I have started walking again it has occurred monthly.

In the past I have had trips to the ER for this unable to walk, to dress myself and move because of the pain. Physical Therapy, muscle relaxers, naproxin, aleve, hydrocordone, and many many hours of crying stuck in bed.

My symptoms include: stabbing pain when walking deep in gluteal region, radiating pain medial down my leg, numbness in toes, collapse when sneezing and this condition, pain and stiffness in lumbar region.
I have had Xrays numerous times and nothing shows abnormally.
When is enough, enough?
I dont want another surgery after my last 2, (having another to remove hardware in left arm soon) but, constant pain is a nightmare. Should I discuss this with my orthopedist since the symptoms have worsened after my accident? Or just have my physical therapist (still in PH for my foot) recommend a MRI for this?
Brandi Smithson