Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So much pain from Physical Therapy

MommouthMMommouth Posts: 2
edited 08/04/2014 - 6:28 PM in Pain Management
I am in physical therapy and it's making me hurt SO bad. The pain is incredible. We are working my upper back and neck, and apparently now we are working on my shoulder joints too. And now I can't even wash my clothes or cook my food because I am in SO much pain I want to cry.

One of the exercises has my bending at the waist which is aggravating my already injured lower back. Now when I walk, my back feels like my spine is grinding, won't move, and I have intense pain in my lower back to the point that I can't walk and I have to hold myself up with my rolling walker now and use it a LOT more than before I started PT.

It doesn't matter if I complain during therapy because I am told to "push through the pain" and "we have to keep those joints limber!" But now I can't lift my coffee cup to my mouth to drink, my joints hurt like hell, and someone touching me brings me to tears. And my lower back is on fire!

Then last night I woke up to intense pain in my lower back and I couldn't really feel my legs. I thought I should try to move them and get them to wake up that way, but that didn't work. I tried to roll over by pulling myself with one arm and pushing with my other arm and my back popped. It hurt like hell for a split second and then... I could feel my legs again! And the first thing that came to mind was "oh that's not good"

I am seriously thinking that PT is causing me more damage than good. I am thinking I should call and make an appt with my Dr but at the same, I don't want to be seen as a quitter or someone who isn't trying hard enough.

The pain is exhausting me. I slept from 8pm-2am, then 4am-4pm. It's almost 9pm and I ready to fall asleep again.

1) What would you do?
2) Please tell me the legs numb/ back popping thing is normal... or just tell me the truth. I can handle it.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,883
    edited 08/04/2014 - 8:00 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I appreciate it. I read through the PT thread. Will read the other when I get home from PT today. I can't do anything afterwards anyway, so reading will keep me occupied. :)
  • There is a difference in being uncomfortable in PT and being in pain. If it is causing you that much pain then something isn't right. Since I was a WC case, I had to go through PT before they would order an MRI. I told the PT that they were hurting me but I still had to do it. Come to find out I had two blown out disks which explained why I was having so much pain.

Point being if it hurts that badly, call your doctor and tell them. Everyone will be sore to a point from PT, but again you shouldn't be in so much pain.

Good luck!

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I would find a different PT! My PT has always told me to never push it because it can cause worsening of pain or symptoms and whether that means you dot bend down as far you go as far as you can go and just slightly farther but don't overdue it. Just enough for you to have slight discomfort but not overwhelming pain!
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 09/01/2014 - 10:47 AM
    I'd try a different PT too. My therapist also says it shouldn't hurt. Muscle aches are usual when they haven't been used for a while but there's a big difference between post workout aches & real PAIN. Did your PT look at your diagnostic test results first? My first therapist was an over zealous 'no pain, no gain' type & I discovered that I shouldn't of been doing most of the exercises she made me do! We're all different & one size fits all PT isn't right for some of us. I have bone on bone areas, Modic changes, herniations etc & have to be very careful with how I move my body.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I called my doctor because PT made me worse and he told me to stop. Because it should not cause you that much pain! I am so sorry to here that it is causing you a lot of pain! I had the same thing and it ended up making my slight bulging disc turn into it being now herniated! So I would call your doctor if PT is causing you a lot of pain! I pray you feel better soon!!!
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.
    Ashley
advertisement