Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back braces

kinpainkkinpain Posts: 958
edited 08/05/2014 - 8:09 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am sorry if somewhere there is a thread about this, but I can't find it, so I am asking you spiney friends to tell about your experience with braces. After my first fusion I did not wear one, but this time I will need one. How soon after surgery do people start to wear it? How does it affect movement? Does it makes one's life easier or more difficult? Any comments will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Kin
advertisement

Comments

• After fusion surgery, I had to wear the brace any time I was out of bed. I had to do that for quite a while. I do feel like it helped me with stability even though it does get old wearing it.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I fractured my lower back (L2 fracture) early March this year and could not get up without my brace! After lying on ones back for over 1 month along with muscle waste! Although it can re strict your movements it's an asset!! I'm 53 yrs and always,been active and although you know there is nothing you ]can do its really stressful not to be able to get around then there is the issues with a catheter amongst the rest ( nightmare) it gives,you back some dignity and mobilisation.
    I have been advised now to try and remove my brace in order to sit up straight as I was only
    sitting at 45 degrees... I'm finding it hard & somewhat scary because it's like part of my body ( I don't sleep with it on)
    I hope this helps
  • The brace is used to support your spine post op but also to restrict your ability to bend, lift and twist.........all of which you aren't supposed to do post op. I had to wear mine anytime that I was up, however, the instructions given to you by your surgeon are the ones you need to follow.
    If the brace is worn too long, it does weaken the muscles, but the surgeon will tell you when you no longer need the brace.
  • Thank you all for your helpful comments. I hope everything will go smoothly. My surgery is a week from today, and I understand I may leave the hospital after three days with my brace. I will keep you posted.

Best to all of you,

Kin
  • 3 months for me in a hard lumbar brace. I hated it but it was necessary.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • It was a corset type brace. I wore it anytime I was out of bed. I had a 1 level fusion. I think you wear it longer the more levels you have fused. Good luck with your surgery.
    Julie K
    L4/L5 fusion TLIF for spondylolisthesis on 5/12/14
advertisement