Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Surgery - Experiences with Recovery?

I had lower back surgery (a 360 procedure) in 2007. Now, my wife is supposed to have a similar fusion at L4-S1, PLUS a C4-C7 fusion. Her doc is saying that her surgery won't have to be a 360 procedure.

I'm terrified. Even following all the doctor's orders and a miraculous NO COMPLICATION result, it took me 5 months to recover enough to drive and be independent. The doc is telling her that she'll be back up within a WEEK.

Now, I know there's a big difference between a laproscopic procedure and the open surgery I had to endure. But is it really that big a difference??? Or do I need to prepare for months of her recovery?

She's such an independent woman, I'm just so worried she will struggle much more even than I did with recovery...especially if it doesn't meet her expectations after the doctor gave her such a short recovery time.

If you've had a similar surgery (ACDF and (ALIF) more recently than 2007 - preferrably in the last few years - I'd appreciate any information about what to expect recovery-wise.

• may I suggest that you obtain another opinion because one week recovery is a joke following my ALIF in 2011 it took me one week just to get out of the spinal ward then a further 8 weeks to be able to walk more than a few meters .3 years one and I am still in lots of permanent pain .
    I think your guy has forecasted a unreasonably optimistic time frame t in which to recover . and in my opinion this makes me question his abilities I was told that it would be somewhere in the 2 /3 years recovery and pain relief is no guarantee as the operation is performed to stabilise the spine and in many cases the pain is nerve related and nothing is being done for that as once a nerve has been damaged it won't recover has your guy performed a discography or any MRI/CT scans ?
    please obtain another opinion
  • HanniesmomHHanniesmom Posts: 23
    edited 08/06/2014 - 9:57 PM
    It will take at least 3 months before she can even do physical therapy. Def. get a second opinion!