Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD L4/L5 with 25, what to expect/do?!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum so I hope someone is able to give me some advice.

About 10 weeks ago I went to the hospital for lower back pain. They did on MRI and found out that I have degenerative disc disease, a prolapsed disc, osteochrondrosis and spondylarthritis in my lumbar spine (L4/L5). However, I was actually free of any symptoms until I was told that I should be in pain. The reason I went in the first place turned out to be totally unrelated to this. Now I'm just wondering what to expect. I'm a 25-year-old female, I've never been overweight and always been active. I'm in my last year at university. I'm saying this because my doctor basically told me. That my life is over. He told me to quit college since I won't be able to ever work an 8 hour shift since I already got this with my age. I was told to never run, bend or practically move again. I kid you not, he said ideally I'd do some core exercises and then stay in bed for the rest of the day. All I have symptom wise so far is the feeling of someone pressing against my lower back. I'm also by no way an expert, but I have my MRI pictures at home and they really don't look that bad to me. I mean yes, you can see some changes but compared to almost all of the things I've seen online this is nothing. Long story short, I was just wondering if anyone had results with conservative treatment to prevent/slow down further damage. I feel like everything he said is a big joke, at least it sounds like one to me! Thanks in advance.