Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain after Microdiscectomy

Hi all;

I had my Microdiscectomy on July 15 and have had improvement with the surgery but still have leg pain when standing or walking which does not seem to be getting any better. I am wonder if the surgery failed, or does the pain mean I now have permanent nerve damage. I was hoping to be 100% pain free following the surgery but this does not seem to be the case. I am fine as long as I am sitting or lying down but once I am on me feet I start feeling the pain creep back up the leg.
microdiscectomy 7-2014

• There are many, many threads discussing ongoing nerve related pain post op. If there was nerve compression or irritation prior to surgery, it commonly flares up for several days, weeks and even months, until the nerve recovers.
  • So I went back to my Surgeon today and told him about the pain I have been having since the surgery and he suggested I get an MRI. Also, got a prescription for Gabapentin which, I hope, will help with this terrible nerve pain. I don't think I could go through another surgery knowing that if it fails, fusion would be my only option to repair my spine.
    microdiscectomy 7-2014
  • I think you should listen to your doctor and do the MRI. I had a similar experience with the initial microdiscectomy/laminectomy on May 30. Five weeks later, I started to have leg pain that was only relieved by sitting down and didn't go away with rest. I tried oral steroids and they didn't help at all. I did a repeat MRI and sure enough, I had reherniated (I have no idea how either time). This time it was even bigger. I just had my second surgery almost 2 weeks ago. Like you, if it happens again, I'll be facing a fusion and that scares me a lot. My leg has been aching again, but I'm trying to see if it continues. I know there is still swelling, so that may be making things hurt that wouldn't normally.

I hope your pain is just the nerves coming back to life, but an MRI isn't a bad idea just in case. Good luck.
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • Izzy46IIzzy46 Posts: 24
    edited 08/26/2014 - 3:52 PM
    Thanks Christina;

yes, I had the MRI yesterday, hope I get good news from the doctor.
    microdiscectomy 7-2014