Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Too Fat for surgery :o(

I just met with my surgeon and he agrees with others that I need a fusion at L5-S1 but he thinks I'm too fat. Yes I'm fat (90lbs more than I was in my 20s I'm 46 now) but I have been dealing with spine pain for 7 years and haven't been able to lose more than a couple pounds. I can't even walk far enough to sweat without pain. Urgh!
He is sending me to a diet doctor and wants me to come back in 6 months. I know I need to lose the weight, and I know doing ALIF would be better for me than PLIF (if I stay fat I have to have PLIF).
Anyone else dealing with weightloss and back pain?
My L5-S1 disc is gone has vacuum phenom but the discs above it look good on film. I take Norco x3 and Robaxin x2 daily I'm hoping fusion will help.

• kamgramkkamgram Posts: 483
    edited 08/20/2014 - 3:39 PM
    Hi Deb, I really feel for you. I have fought my weight problem most of my life but after my thoracic fusion which failed in 2012 then 2 knee surgeries in 2013 one of which was a replacement then an ulnar nerve relocation Feb of this year. My weight ballooned up to 322 due to inactivity and depression. Feb 25th after my surgery and my daughter having to take care of me I decided I was not going to live like this and have my children have to care for me. I went on a very strict diet, 1000 calories or so a day and started pool therapy which I have worked up to 90 minutes a day. I have managed to lose almost 80 pounds since. I just reached the bottom for me and just could not live like that anymore. I still hurt. I still take daily pain meds but can move better and most of all I can take care of myself. If you need someone to talk to I will be on here more now. I know if I can do it anybody can. This after 4 spine surgeries and 2 that failed. I have had 14 surgeries over past 10 yrs. Just wanted to let you know it's not impossible :)

• Thank you Kelli! Its good to hear you have been successful! I have an appointment next week with an MD that specializes in weightloss. My surgeon said she is great with people that are limited with exercise. I will let you know how it goes.
    Meanwhile I will get a few more RFAs to make it through the coming months.
    Thanks again!!!