Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Saddle anesthesia, severe bilateral leg pain but no back pain

Hi, I'm new to the site, but in trying to find info about my symptoms I have found myself here. I really like the site and feel that someone here may be able to give me some insight. Let me start by saying that I have a 12 year history of right sciatic pain that consisted of nothing more than a quick searing jolt in the buttocks that lasted a few seconds. About a year ago my symptoms began with bilateral leg fatigue, I felt like I had run a marathon.. and all I had done was walk from one end of the room to the other. About 5-6 months ago I started having saddle anesthesia that mostly occurs while walking and mild loss of bladder control. The saddle anesthesia also occurs if I set for a extended period of time ( like driving to and from work). In the last 2 months the saddle anesthesia is now accompanied by intense bilateral leg pain. The numbness also goes all the way to my heels of both feet, which makes it difficult to walk because I can't feel where I'm stepping. I have seen my doctor, had a MRI (which I was told was grossly normal except for a mild broad-based disc bulge at L1-2 and mild facet hypertrophy and neural foraminal narrowing at L5-S1.) I was referred to a neurologist who did nothing more than neuro checks, spent 10 minutes with me, and told me he wanted a MRI of my brain and thoracic spine and ordered a ANA, RPR, B-12 folate, and Vitamin D. I have been a medical assistant for 18 years and consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable about what goes into diagnosing conditions, and I find myself slightly baffled on what he had ordered. Would a EMG be of any use here?