Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, I'm new here...

This is my first time posting here. I'm not sure where to start but will start with my current conditions- chronic sciatic pain;
I have scoliosis which was diagnosed several years ago; I believe it is mostly due to degenerative changes in my spine; the diagnosis is idiopathic scoliosis which I guess means the doctors are not certain of what caused it. I have my opinions about what has contributed to it. I have had multiple x-rays over the past 3-4 years, and one MRI this past year. I am currently on Tramadol, which I try to take only once a day, plus have tried Flexeril but it wasn't very effective. I recently started taking Neurontin as I had read it was effective for nerve pain, which is what I think I have been experiencing lately with the sciatic pain. I have been to PT twice this past year and though I believe it is good to strengthen my core, am not sure it will have much effect on the curves in my mid-thoracic and lumbar spine. I also use a TENS device which helps occasionally and only for a short time.
So, I guess I am here to hopefully get some info from others with similar issues on what has worked for them. I hate having to be dependent on meds but realize that at this point I likely have little choice. I do NOT want to have any surgeries! That is a last resort for me. When I literally cannot walk or take care of myself, then I guess the risk of not walking post-surgery will be less than it is now. I have been having some issues with ambulation lately which is why I asked to be put on a trial of Neurontin to see if that would be helpful. I love to walk and hike but that is becoming more difficult lately. No AT thru-hikes are in my future, I guess. And instead of being a member of the 4000-footer or 5000-footer club, I am confined to the half-way-up club. lol
But I will take what I can get at this point.
If anyone here has any input on how they overcome their diminishing abilities, I am willing to try anything (almost). At least what I can afford and what my insurance will cover, that is.

• I can relate with your story. A year ago I was in the same position and starting to think of how I can manage my life in my diminished state. It must have been almost exactly a year ago that my Pain Doctor told me that given my significantly reduced leg strength that I should see the Ortho. I took his advice and ended up having surgery in December. I am much better now but still have some issues. I am happy to be off of Tramadol.