Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Multi-Level Fusion Pain

ajgaajg Posts: 9
edited 08/26/2014 - 10:03 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had L2 to L4 fused. It has never really gotten any better since my last surgery last year. However, now, it is very hard to turn over in bed. If I go over to the right, I get a very sharp pain in the middle of the surgery area but it is now going over to my hip which is a new symptom and it is getting worse and worse. The same is true for the other side. It is the kind of pain/ache that stops you in your tracks to the point of actually growning while I turn. It can be agonizing and I am losing 80% of sleep.

Could this be the added pressure on the lower vetebra due to the fusion right about it? It feels like that and the pain is coming from the bottom level and not the top. If I lay on my stomach to sleep, if I arch even a little bit, that also causes a sharp pain like there is a steel rod in my bad, which I guess there is now due to the fusions.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

• that sounds about right .what kind of fusion did you have ALIF/PLIF ?? your fusion would have been done for spinal stabilisation and not pain relief some people do get some pain relief but that's not its main objective of a fusion ,unfortunately if you have lower back pain and leg pain and unlikely that it will go will go away .some people do get a some relief but I am afraid that the damage has been done and you fusion was a last ditch attempt to save your pain ,you could try a TENS .and a memory foam mattress a recliner may help you during the day and if you get a decent one you can sleep on it .mine has been a godsend ,strange sounds and cracks and pops from your back are normal its just nitrogen gas in your joints if your worried see your consultant .I have had many years of pain after my many spinal operations including an ALIF
  • Talk to your doctor, if it is hip bursitis, injections into the bursa will ease the pain and eliminate it. I get it in both hips periodically and the injections bring relief.