Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica 200mg per day

It isn't working. Should I bother with going to the maximum dose of 600mg a day?

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 08/27/2014 - 7:01 AM
    DO NOT ever increase your dosage of medications without discussing it with your doctor first!

Neuropathic pain medications need to be titrated to effect, slowly, and tapered off of slowly. They need a week or so to build up in your blood stream so that you can feel them start to worik.
  • Hey Mike.
    Are you having any negative side effects? I had a lot but I stuck with it until I was titrated up to the high dose. It didnt work for me. I'm now at the point that I'm revisiting old treatments. With some meds I gave-up because they weren't working while I was still on a lower dose. Now I'm wondering if I should try again. Lyrica works for a lot of patients. In my opinion it's worth going through a couple of dose adjustments just so you know. It might work & if it doesn't at least you'll know for sure & wont be left wondering in the future...
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I have done the same thing, not having success with a particular medication, previously, then going off it, trying something else, then deciding to revisit a particular medication that didn't work so well or had negative adverse effects the first time.
    I have been lucky so far, in that the second time, the negative adverse effects have not reappeared.
    Lyrica dosing for neuropathic pain is somewhere around 350 mg per day up to 600 but again Mike, don't increase the dose without your doctors permission first.
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 08/30/2014 - 2:25 PM
    If you are not having unmanageable side-effects from the Lyrica it would make sense to try higher doses. Only on the instructions of your doctor, of course.
  • I'm on lyrica in combination with other drugs. My sense /and just opinion is to be careful with lyrica, and to look for other meds that may help you more. I worry about all the side effects , just read what that med comes with. I don't know but talk to doc is a must and its not the type of med you just "pop" as you need it. One thing to consider too is its a nerve pain med, and is your pain solely nerve, I was surprised to learn a lot of my pain was coming from disfunction and muscular spasms which can mimic it ... Anyway be it , best of luck.
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 09/05/2014 - 5:59 PM
    Blue, you raise a good point. Some doctors prescribe Lyrica like it's a panacea for pain but it is only clinically proven and indicated for neuropathic pain. I was prescribed it and my pain does not have any neuropathic qualities. I just gained 10kg/20lbs in a short time frame which I am still carrying around. It didn't touch the pain. I have seen it work like magic for relatives with actual neuropathic conditions, though, so it's good at what it is actually intended to be used for.
  • Hi Mike, most people have a love hate relationship with Lyrica and I too fall into that category. I'm currently on the highest dosage but it took me a long time to get up to that level. I was advised by my Dr to keep at it as it takes a long time (weeks) for the body to get used to the medication. I get really great results from it but it took up to 4months for it to settle down. The side effects were horrendous but I have found a diet and supplement reigned which really has worked for me. I put on 17kg after my last surgery on Lyrica and have now lost it all and then some. The other side effects like mental confusion and lethargy are also better on this diet. Private message me and I'll give you more details about the diet but don't give up on your meds just yet.
    Aussie Aussie Aussie
    PLIF l5-S1 L4L5 herniation, incomplete paraplegia