Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has your surgeon ever...

I have been thinking about the fact that by the time my neurosurgeon saw my MRI, it was already a month old. A couple weeks ago when going out the door to go to work, I looked up and to my right at the porch light next to the door. I know that spiders like to hang out there. Most mornings( 4am-ish) the motion light doesn't go on until I am almost to my vehicle(real good that does, right?). Anyways when I looked at the porch light, I felt a pop in my neck that I have issues with followed by a feeling of unbalance and bone on bone grind that wasn't there before that. I had a major increase of pain for approx. 1-2 wks. The pain has tapered off a little bit but I also felt an increase of other issues after that. I told both the PA and the Doc about the issue but they didn't say a whole lot about it. I know some popping and noise is somewhat common but it didn't sound or feel like the stuff I usually go for. So my question is, I am supposed to have ACDFI surgery September 9th. They have done another xray but not an additional MRI. Have they gone in and found something new in surgery that wasn't the original issue found on tests and fixed it? Or do they only focus on the task at hand and not worry about anything else? I know that there main concern for my surgery is to relieve the spinal cord compression and then fusion. I had read somewhere that the doctors don't even look at the nerve roots or the spinal cord when performing these procedures. The closer I get to surgery, the more scared and anxious I get. Has the Doc come back after surgery and said that they found additional issues and fixed them? I really don't want to go thru this all again if I don't have to. I guess I don't have much faith in doctors lately and think that they just want to rack up bills to make more money off of people and insurances.
Tracie C

• I believe you are having single level acdf. Multi level is far worse to recover from. Make sure to get any questions answered before surgery. It will be to late after the event. If you have to wait a little longer for surgery to get answers, I would. One important thing I learned by asking questions was that acdf surgery will most likely stop arm pain. I was told point blank that surgery was to stop further degeneration and that there were to many pain generators in neck to guarantee neck pain would be eliminated. Don't expect to be pain free, it just might not happen. I have learned there are some questions surgeons will not answer unless directly asked. Don't expect outcome based on wishful thinking. This is why I am waiting for last possible moment to have surgery based on numerous others reporting their experiences. I am not trying to be negative, go into this with eyes wide open. Best of luck to you.