Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good Sign or Nerve Damage?

The brief background: After around 9 months of a herniated L5/S1 (began with only tingling for the first 4-5 months, then major sciatic pain) I had my first microdiscectomy on May 30th. The pain was completely gone, no symptoms whatsoever for 5 weeks...then the sciatic pain returned, at a much less severe rate, but long story short, I had reherniated, much larger this time at the same level. Had the second microdiscectomy August 14th.

Immediately upon standing up for the first time after the second surgery, my left foot was very numb/weak. I think I've gradually gotten used to the numbness (which is mainly on the bottom of my foot), but I see no real improvement. What I have noticed is that the top of my foot is almost over-sensitive. I can barely stand to have anything even ever-so-gently brush across the top of that foot. Touching it feels awful, it feels like the skin is going to stretch too tight if I try to move my toes, almost a severe sun-burned feeling, if that makes sense.

I had no numbness or over-sensitivity prior to this second surgery. Is this a sign of nerve damage that might be permanent or is the over-sensitivity a good sign of nerve regeneration or am I just a complete whacko?

I can't find much info on my symptoms on the internet, but maybe I'm just not using the proper words as I search? Any insight would be helpful.
Christina
Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
advertisement

Comments

• and usually subsides in the weeks to come. It also means that it changes over time, and diminishes. Nerves can take some weeks to recover, since they only regenerate a rate of 1-2 mm per month........
  • Thanks Sandi. I know it will take time, I just wish I could sleep! This pain is so intense that I'm back to not being able to sleep and I'm so tired. That just makes everything worse, I think. I am taking yet another Medrol steroid pack and supposed to let the neurosurgeon know if it helped or not. I'm leaning toward not, halfway through taking it.
    Christina
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • I had a L4/L5 microdiscectomy on Friday got home from hospital last night,,, had bad back for few days then pain shooting in my buttocks leg and foot and numbness also developed a foot drop,, got all this 2 months ago went a and e but didn't send me for mri straight away until 2 weeks later when I demanded to be seen again by someone,, I was told on week 8 what was wrong with me by my surgeon were I got transferred to that my foot was now paralysed and won't recover has my own hospital had left it to late to sort it all out,,,,, had surgery to relieve pains in leg,,, went well was in pain and still am but morphine is helping a lot also on meds for nerve pain in foot, still no use in my foot but early days,, hoping my surgeon was wrong about it being paralysed and to late to save it only time will tell,,, have to have rehabilitation in future on my foot and start to wear a splint have to use crutches,,, I was so nervous about surgery my first time,, it was more being put to sleep than the surgery itself, but I had nothing to worry about they were great,,,, I haven't worked since I went to a and e but I can't walk proper and far without pain,, let's see if this surgery helps in the next couple of moths, but I can't see me being v
    Back at work till at least another few more months yet,, see how I go,,,,,
  • I have no insight to offer but do agree that lack of sleep manifests everything. I too have numbness on the bottom of my foot that I didn't have before. I've come to the conclusion that our bodies do weird things when recovering!

Hang in there, I don't think you're 'wacko'

Veronica
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
advertisement