Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm wondering anyone can tell me what kinds of restrictions will you have after an open TLIF? When my doctor talked with me I wasn't expecting I would need a fusion. I wasn't prepared with all of the questions I have now. Thanks for any info you can share with me.

• I had minimally invasive surgery 4 weeks ago at L5. My surgeon has me on no bending, lifting,twisting or sitting for than 15 minutes for 8weeks. I'm limited with lifting, no more than 2-3kg for first 6 weeks, then 5kg for 6 months. I'm also not allowed to return to work (I work as an assistant in special school) for a minimum of 3 months.
    I'm currently walking up to 3kms a day, daily physio exercises and hydrotherapy every second day. I'm also not allowed to drive until he gives me clearance at my follow up appointment which is later this week.
    I had thought I'd have 2 incisions around 4cms long but woke up with 1 incision about 10cms long.

I hope this helps even though the surgery isn't quite the same. I contacted my surgeon several times before my surgery & asked questions. I'm sure your dr wouldn't mind if you rang them.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Thanks Veronica! I also work with people who have a developmental disability. I'm a supervisor for a home where people who have a developmental disability live. I'm not sure how long before I will go back to work... currently, i'm still working 40 hours. Although, it's very difficult. My Dr. said 4-6 weeks.. I will have to see how things progress. I work 40 minutes away from where I live.. I wonder how sitting for that long to drive will be. I think I will call my Doctor now that I have had time to let it sink in, I have lots of questions. Did you need a bone graph... I'm not sure if my doctor takes it from my pelvis or uses one that isn't from me.. What about pain after wards.. is it horrible and for how long...
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/08/2014 - 7:46 AM
    Those are questions you need to get answers from from your surgeon. At the top of the forums and in the FAQ ( frequently asked questions section) there are a couple of links and threads that discuss questions you should ask your surgeon before having surgery. You should have another preop appointment to go over the surgery, and ask any questions you may have prior to your surgery date.