Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am so confused, again

glendagglenda Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled for surgery (a left sided hemilaminectomy)on July 9. What I am so confused about is... I was having terrible stabbing pains, left sided, when this was scheduled a month ago. Since then I have had a marked decrease in left sided acute pain, and an increase in bilateral hip and leg pain, spasms, tingling, etc.

NS told me at last appointment that I had a herniated disc at L5-6 (I have 6 lumbars) that was causing the "stabbers" and that the left hemi would take care of that. He told me that a fusion of L6-S1 (site of previous surgery) plus an ADR at L5-6 could possibly take care of most of the problems. I opted for the remedy for the acute pain, the surgery that I have scheduled in 2 weeks.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, could the herniated disc at L5-6 be causing these new and worsening symptoms on both sides? Or is it the "bone on bone" problem at the L6-S1? Anyone have an opinion? I really don't want to go thru this surgery if it is not going to help all that much. I called NS today, but he was in surgery, haven't got a call back yet. Any advice, comments will be appreciated.

BTW, I was glengill on the "old" SH message boards, just so you'll know.

• HI Glenda,
    Sounds to me as if you need to see your Doc again before surgery. There is no point in having half a job done if it is not going to fix the problem.
    It could just be how you are moving now to possibly save yourself from the original pain but I really suggest that you go to see him or at the very least a physiotherapist who specalises in backs.
    Oh and by the way there is no L6 :? I think you need to jump up a vertebrae and L5-S1 or L4-L5 LOL
    Good luck with it all :)
  • Hi Sara,
    I agree about needing to see NS before surgery, or at the very least, talk to him about the different symptoms I am having. I'm supposed to go for pre-op on Tuesday, will go early and stop by his office, if I don't hear from him before then. (Sorry about the confusion with L6-S1, but NS tells me I am one of the 10% or so of the population that has 6 lumbars.)

This whole episode has been a weird experience for me, so different than before, which was the same symptoms day in/day out. I never know these days what is going to hurt and how bad it is going to be from one minute to the next. Such a roller coaster ride.

Thanks for the reply.