Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior Foraminotomy recovery time

I had a C6/C7 PF done about 2 weeks ago due to a bulging disc and possibly some arthritic stenosis causing the nerve root on my left side to be compressed, so I've been living with neck and radiant arm pain for 9 months.The first few days post-surgery were rough because the neck muscles the surgeon disturbed just to get to the vertabrae were stiff and sore. It was hard to lift my head and get out of bed.

But it slowly got better and after a week or so I started to get up and go out a little, nothing strenuos but just had to move around and get out of the house. I still have some numbness in my left upper back and a burning pain when I bend over or twist my neck in a certain position, and it's hard for me to hold my head up without support for more than an hour or two, but I am off hydrocodone now.

But I'm still not ready to sit at my computer at work for 8 hours holding up my neck. Fortunately in my job I have the ability to work remotely from home, which I am starting on Monday half-time, which will be 18 days after my surgery. Gonna try that for a few weeks and see if I'm ready to go back full time. I have a rather large-sized head on a small to medium upper body frame, so maybe my recovery is going more slowly.

I still don't know if this is going to completely solve my neck issues, but I can tell already that the radiant pain in my arm is a little less than it was pre-surgery. I've been hearing different estimates about when it finally feels normal and it scares me a little that many I read about on this board have had to go back for anterior fusions or other surgeries.Just wanted to hear others' experiences with this type of surgery and what kind of recovery time I'm facing. Thank you for any experiences you can share.

• I had an ACDF 2 level in mid-April for c5-c6 left arm and hand pain, followed by PCF 2 level in July because the nerve pain persisted. The surgical pain from both surgeries subsided in a matter of a few days, but the back spasms from the PCF are persistent. I am dealing with a very slowly healing arm/hand nerve pain as well. The surgeon said that the PCF spasms and nerve pain will likely take 9-12 months to settle down. A good thing is that after sleeping there are minimal spasms until the day wears on, some days better than others. Gives me hope that things will gradually get better. The spasms respond fairly well to Tiger Balm rubs, ice packs and Flexeril. If you have had posture issues, then I suggest looking at ways to correct the posture, otherwise posture problems will aggravate the inflammation. So after hearing my story I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions to recovery.
  • It has been 8 months since my PCL surgery. The back spasms from the surgery took about 5 months to fully go away. I still have radiant nerve pain in my left hand consistent with c6, however, I now believe it to be the result of basil (thumb) arthritis. I saw my family practitioner earlier this month, who believes because of the location of the pain, that it is thumb arthritis. So I see a hand surgeon in about 10 days. So looking back I'm not clear about how much of the pain was due to spinal issues versus thumb arthritis. It's been an odd journey.