Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Surgery and Laminectomy

SLOswimmer1SSLOswimmer1 Posts: 1
edited 09/22/2014 - 10:05 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello All,

I am a first time writer on this site. A year ago I looked at this sight prior to my own C 6/7 discectomy and laminectomy. Like many of you, I was very nervous. When my disc herniated- - -I went thought the usual route (Anti Inflam meds, muscle relaxers and PT). In short nothing really worked and I was losing all of the strength in my left (dominant) arm. I couldn't even do a push up or swim more than 50 meters. Note- - -prior to my disc herniation I was swimming 3500 meters 4-5 days/week. Surgery became the only option for me. Like you I was nervous and scared however I did trust my neurosurgeon. The best in SLO county and known as one of the best in the state (CA). I was lucky in this regard.

I am happy to report that a year after my surgery- -I am swimming 2500 meters, playing golf and just began running. I would say that my surgery was a success. I am not 100 percent but I am about 98 percent back to who I was. There is a slight amount of pain that I find myself in when I drive too far with poor posture but overall I am doing well.

I read a lot of posts prior to my surgery and I made a promise last year to post if all was well with me after a year. I hope I can provide a positive light for some of you being nervous about your upcoming surgery. Let me know if I can answer any questions from my experience. Here is a bit of advice even thought you didn't ask.

1. follow doctors and PT orders to a tee unless your feeling worse after surgery (I had to tell my PT guy to pound sand when he had me doing exercises that exceeded doctors weight limits).
2. stay positive- - -you will feel great and have some set backs. it takes about a year for full recovery
3. if all goes well with your surgery give back and post a positive comment to let people know there is a lot of good that can come out of your situation.
Todd Collins