Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Herniated Disc

I'm new to the forums and i'll try my best to explain my problem in as much detail as possible, because i was unable to get any proper answer from any other website, and hopefully i will get everything i am looking for in here.
I have a herniated disc at L4-L5 and L5-S1 and after studying the MRI, the doctors have said i need surgery for it. The problem with easily going for it is, i am only 15 years old. I am having a lot of pain in my left buttock and left calf, probably because of the pressure on the nerve roots. However, there is very little weakness in my foot. I am able to walk around but my back is bent around an angle of 15 degrees. From about a month, i have also started lifting my left heel while walking to relieve pressure and pain. I do not have any pain in my back, only the left leg. The pain is present from about two months now, and it's at it's peak right now. I have had no relief from pain after doing a lot of sessions of physiotherapy. Muscle relaxants don't work on me anymore.
Just wanted to know whether surgery is a good option right now and what are the pros and cons of it. A doctor even said maybe they will have to use screws and rods inside, and honestly i've never heard of that before in a disc herniation surgery. Some doctors say keyhole surgery is possible but some say it's not. So, if i get the questions in my mind lined up in as simple language as i can write in, here they are:
Q1) Is surgery a good option at this point of time?
Q2) Will keyhole surgery be possible?
Q3) Will having surgery make my back weaker and unable to participate in sports events?
Q4) I have read that sometimes, the disc at the same level slips out again after some months of surgery. Is that true? Any ways of avoiding it?

I would really appreciate any help that can be given in helping me decide. I am a schooling boy in grade 10 and it is not easy for me to miss out on school for so many days.