Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

recovery after discectomy surgery

Hello all,
I am new here. I am 32 and had L4/S1 discectomy surgery on 20th Aug so I'm just over 5 weeks post op.
Since the operation I have noticed that I am not limping anymore and since a week or so afterwards my sciatica has mainly gone.
I met my physio for the first time a few weeks ago and she added to the exercises that the hospital had given me.
Since I started one of the new exercises I have been in even more pain.
its the exercise where you lie on your back with legs bend and move the leg like a scissor out to the side whilst holding your pelvic floor muscles. It seems to create more pressure on my lower back and activate the nerves so it feels like they are electric afterwards and movement is hard. I am going to speak to her about it when I see her again on Thursday but I guess my question is - have you had experience of exercises taking you back a few steps as perhaps you are using muscles you havent for a while? should I keep persevering?
The high back chair (my Granny chair I call it) that I have been sitting comfortably in for the past five weeks is also becoming uncomfortable for my back - I guess I am worried about these changes and I am supposed to be going back to work in over a weeks time.
Any support or advice would be great.
Thanks
Helen
hellbelle
advertisement

Comments

• Yes, excercises that you haven't ever done or haven't done is awhile can flare things up for a bit while your body adjusts to them. All of the physical therapy excercises are meant to restore range of motion, flexibility, and stretch your muscles , while strengthening at the same time.
    The pain flare up should ease as you continue to improve in strengthening and flexibility.