Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks post l5-l6 discectomy good outcome :)

Im 23 and very athletic.
Had my discectomy about 8 weeks ago because the hernitation was too big to deal with it by PT(it was about 10mm x 23mm)
Since week 5 i think im 100% pain free. That means no horrible sciatica, no stiffness, nothing that causes pain :)
Since week 2 post op i was doing PT and as far for now the results are very good.
I can sit for 1,5h without any pain, can go throught all day of college classes etc and just feel week on my back are but still NO PAIN.
I can bend/twist with no pain, can almost touch my feet on straight leg.
Doing core exercises 3-4 times a week. They includes things like planks,bridges, bodyweight squats and since last week started little bit of strenght training in the gym using therabands,trx and fitness equipment. Also doing streching for hamstrings,glutes and calves couple times a week and twice a week going to aquafitness classes.

I feel like i can do anything but im also very carefull for now, i dont run or lift heavy weights. Keeping my back straight all the time.

still have little bulge on l4-l5 but without nerve compression and i think it wouldn't be a problem in a future if i keep my core in good condition.

Looking after bar training soon, like pullups etc.
So for young people who have this problem i would say it is possible to have good outcome and feel normal again :)

• Congratulations on your surgical outcome. This type of outcome is far more frequent than it is presented on forums. Keep doing the strengthening excercises, keep your core strong, and adjust to how you do things, and hopefully, you will be out living your life as normally as possible.
    Running? Talk to your surgeon first..........that's usually one of those things that they don't recommend after spine surgery.
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 361
    edited 10/03/2014 - 12:08 PM
    so many bad outcomes on these forums, but honestly, most people who are out living & loving life won't be checking back in here, will they? I'm glad you are doing so well, gives hope to the rest of us. I am scheduled for discectomy at L5-S1 October 29, been waiting 8 long months!
  • good luck!, im so happy with absolutely NO NERVE PAIN ! only have sometimes some numbness in my leg but it doesn't hurt. Just some wierd fealing like it is tired or something. Hope it will resolve.
  • As has been said before, this forum in particular is mostly those who are either pre surgery or immediately post op.........and of course there are going to be stories that sound like terrible outcomes, but in the days, weeks and months post op, things change, and improve for the majority of people.
    They stop posting once they get back to living their lives, and don't require the support of the forums.
    Too many people make the mistake of not understanding that they are reading the early post op recovery stories out there, not the long term , results and assume that spine surgery results in all negative outcomes........it is far from the truth.