Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

carrying stuff after ACDF

I am 17 days post ACDF c5/6. I've been feeling great. I'm still out of work on doc's orders. I have my next followup on the 14th and expect to be cleared for work on the 15th.

For folks a little further in recovery than me, when did your doc end lifting restrictions? And when he/she did, how did you find it best to carry stuff? Shoulder bag? Backpack? Rolling bag? For work I need to carry about 15 pounds of gear with me, often for more than half a mile. I'm trying to pare down my gear but even at bare minimum it's around 12 pounds. Any advice? i will ask my doc at the post-op as well but by then it will be tough to get what i need quickly because i expect to go back to work the day after the appointment. help! thanks.
C5/6 herniation, type 2 diabetes, generalized anxiety disorder

• I was told at about 12 weeks that they would lift the restrictions. That's a lot of gear to haul around. Do you push a cart at the grocery store yet? I know its not quite the same. I have pushed a cart but only as long as its not getting full. Otherwise it starts to be too much for me yet. Hopefully your Doc can give you more answers. Of course just about every doctor in my area as well as on here has different preferences on everything so maybe it will be ok
    Tracie C
  • Yes, I can push a grocery cart easily. I do feel like something (ie. a rolling laptop bag) would be strain my neck more, although I haven't tried it. I really feel like I can do most anything although I do get tired much more easily and if I do too much then I am achy that night and the next morning. I'm afraid of doing too much and ruining the fusion.
    C5/6 herniation, type 2 diabetes, generalized anxiety disorder