Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member Texas

The HorseTThe Horse Posts: 9
edited 10/05/2014 - 8:44 PM in New Member Introductions
I was recently diagnosed with a C5 herniated disc.
The pain started back on July 23rd. I thought I slept wrong on my new memory foam mattress. Bought the mattress for my sciatica, and surprise...it was gone after a month on the new mattress.
Did heat..ice...a couple of massages and the intense burning didn't go away. Went to my normal dr and took an injection in the shoulder as it was believed to be a torn muscle. After a few weeks I felt better and while do warm up weights I felt wrong.
I suffered for a few more weeks, popping pills and trying to tough it out.

My whole right side goes numb for hours at a time, I can feel, but not fully function.

Finally I had an MRI, but on my shoulder. I tore a muscle and frayed my rotator cuff. I laid low and followed the process.
Pain never subsided. I then went to an orothpedic surgeon and within five minutes I was told I most likely had a herniated disc in my neck. I took vacation as it was already paid for. When I came back I took the second MRI.
This confirmed C5 was spilled out and in my spinal core. I spent the last three weeks in denial, popping pills and interviewing surgeons.

Still the right side goes numb, and deep burning feeling. I probably keep ice hot patches in business myself.

My wife finally had enough and we sat down with a dr and became comfortable and agreed on surgery.
I will have then go in the front, move the throat, take out the bad, fix the good, and use a metal clip to hold it in.

I am taking gabapentin, skillaxin, and small hydrocodone. I started disability paperwork last week.
Found this site for support and information.

I have some worries but I know this is for the best. Surgery is on the 20th. I will keep checking in up until then as my anxiety will probably get worse as we get closer.

Thanks for the site.