Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica side effect fixes??

Philip SmithPPhilip Smith Posts: 7
edited 10/06/2014 - 7:46 PM in Pain Medications
Hi All, these forums have been an invaluable source for both information and inspiration. I like most have been through the wringer and now am staring down the barrel of yet worsening symptoms and after 18months post surgery PLIF L5S1 with further complications my surgeons have admitted that I'm classified as an incomplete paraplegic. Well I've had the pity party and want to share some knowledge about what I've learnt.
Firstly Lyrica, for me has been a wonder medication, albeit with some horrendous side effects. Yes I had the massive weight gain, mental confusion, edema, etc etc. What it did for me was control the pain, allowed me to sleep at night. I just wanted to crawl into a hole and as I had a lot of pain and severe disfunction I didn't know what to do.
My physiotherapists had given up, knowing that I was working out five times a week, almost manically walking 10km per day eating nothing and still gaining the pounds. I had actually gained at that stage nearly 40 pounds. Horrifying stuff!!
The good news was that while I wanted to support my partner in a new supplement regime I have since found a system that gets rid of most if not all my side effects.
In four months I have lost over 40 pounds, am able to read a book and have retention of information, my mind is much clearer (less Lyrica moments) and I've not done any exercise. In fact for all of this time I have been on a Catamaran sailing around the Great Barrier Reef so I couldn't do any more exercise. Sounds impossible as my symptoms have actually worsened. Can't feel my left leg, both feet have partial foot drops and I'm slowly loosing my upper thighs.
My Drs are amazed and are now recommending the diet and supplements to all of their patients. Naturally we try everything to loose weight and I can certainly attest to this being a major improvement in me both physically and mentally. I was staring down he barrel of being in a wheelchair in no time flat but if I can say one things for sure I'll give anything a try to avoid it. While this may not be possible long term, he longer I can prolong it the better I feel.
My new motto is, "Control what you can control" and this has allowed me to do just that.

Aussie Aussie Aussie
PLIF l5-S1 L4L5 herniation, incomplete paraplegia