Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! chronic pain and numbness.

lauralee8333llauralee8333 Posts: 2
edited 10/09/2014 - 2:51 PM in Chronic Pain

This is my first post on spine health. I have been reading so many or your problems and it just feels like I am at home in this forum already. I have several problems with my spine due to 2 accidents while I was younger and a recent injury also. But right now I will just start with the cervical issues.

I had a ACDF done in May of last year. The symptoms I was having was pain in arms and shoulder and neck pain . Some tingling in fingers but no numbness. I had a herniated disc at c5-6 and another at 6-7 . I had a lot of trouble sleeping as arms had to lay just right as not to hurt. MRI at that time showed :

Finding: Sagittal view of cervical spine shows posterior protuding discs c5-6 and c7-8. Axial images show these are central disc protrusions with indentation of the ventral subarachnoid space. Spinal cord is somewhat distorted and torqued at c6-7 level. The disc at that level is assymetric to the left. There is no abnormal sign from within the spinal cord itself. The alignment of the vertebral bodies are acceptable.

Impression: generative change in the lower cervical spine with narrowing of the spinal canal , in particular c6-7.

So...my neurosurgeon recommended surgery and I had it done . C6-7 acdf. I thought everything was ok, the surgery went well but 2 days after surgery I was hospitalized with diverticulitis. Ugh!!!!! Was in hospital for a week and recovered at home after. I felt ok, arm pain gone, headaches, and fingers were ok.

Two months ago I was vacationing and I injured my back . Resulting in left torso, face and arm numbness. Went for a new set of MRIs . Brain, Thoracic, Lumbar and Cervical. My symptoms are left side torso numbness, facial numbness, left hand and fingers numb, severe headaches, electrical shock when bending neck in certain ways and alway neck pain. shooting pains in arms again and neck feels worse than it did before surgery. This is what new cervical MRI shows:

Impression: Post surgical changes from anterior cervical disc fusion at the c6-7 level. Broad based disc osteopyte complex with superimposed left paracentral disc protrusion effaces the left ventral csf and mildly indents the left ventral cord. Moderate left foraminal stenosis.
Broad based diffused disc osteopyte complex of c5-6 without spinal or foraminal stenosis. There is mild effacement of the ventral csf.

I went back to the same surgeon who did my acdf and ended up seeing his PA. The surgeon happened to not be in that day....
They relayed to me that I would not need another surgery to repair the acdf . And nothing more..
I have been in the process of trying to find another neurologist, but it is proving to be a long and frustrating process! I have great insurance, so I wouldn't think that would be the holdup.

The pain is maddening and any help, advice or similar stories would be so awesome! I am determined not to let the chronic pain and depression defeat me.