Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-6, C6-7 Foraminotomy HELP

kingmankkingman Posts: 2
edited 10/12/2014 - 2:42 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I am new to this forum.

In June I ad a C5-6, C6-7 Foraminotomy.

I had some pain prior to the surgery but the biggest issue was loss of motor function in my right hand.

I am a saxophonist and not being able to use my fingers is a HUGE issue.

After the surgery I did have some improvement but it is off and on.

I have some numbness in my index and middle finger and still have weakness. Also, off and on pain in my wrist and thumb.

There are a lot of different opinions on how long I should expect a full recovery to take. Some say 2 to three months and others say a year. So when do I go back and say it didn't work?

Is there anything I can do to help improve the nerve function?

I am getting a bit desperate.

Moderator Input

Nerve recovery can take up to two years, post op. especially in cases where there was nerve involvement prior to the surgery. Has there been any improvement in the symptoms since the surgery? If so, you need to give it more time to see what happens. It has only been 4 months and nerves only recover at a rate of 1-2 mm per month.

• I think have regained some strength but I will have times when I can perform and times when I cannot.

I was given two options and I didn't have time to heal from anterior fusion. My doc also likes to do the minimum as you can't undo certain things. I respect that.

I want to be pro active but I'm not sure what to do and I'm in a different state than my doc so I can't see him until December.
  • help but as I said, nerve recovery can be protracted, and you may see times when it seems to slow, then speed up and make leaps in improvement. Excercising your fingers, for dexterity, and flexibility might help as well......even drumming your fingers can improve dexterity and flexibility.
    I play guitar and know how important fingers are to be able to play.
    Hang in there, I know that waiting for nerve recovery is difficult, but there really isn't much that can be done other than wait it out and keep the muscles strong.