Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Congenital spine disorders

MohlmagMMohlmag Posts: 1
edited 10/13/2014 - 12:43 PM in New Member Introductions
Good evening everyone. I've been an on-looker for many years.
I will do my best to summarize my experiences below.

Growing up, I always had pressure / pain in lower middle back. I now know this area as the sacrum, the center would be approximately 3" below my L5 vertebrae... I grew up in a blue collar family. Pain, struggle and humanity were evident and keenly observed. Early on I practiced mental exercises to trick my mind into interpreting pain as pleasure and achievement.

I understood back pain as a common condition. When I started school, we'd occasionally have basic health check-ups during the school day. Each of us would have our sight, hearing and back/spine checked for functionality.
The optical and hearing tests would always pass with flying colors. Every spinal exam would result in the observer struggling to pass me along, mild or borderline scoliosis was often implied. I was informed often about the importance of keeping my back strong and flexible.

With my blue collar upbringing came advice and opportunity.
Encouraged to pursuit a trade, I took carpentry as a vocation and worked mornings and evenings at a local dairy farm.
I also took up fitness and strength training. A coach at our school system was very much into powerlifting. This was an interesting pursuit to me, so I began expressing interest...
I did fairly well with the pursuit, looking back now I understand some of my bouts with pain probably were not typical.
My physique did respond and my erector spinae muscles were thick and resilient.

After working on farms and dairy's, I got the chance to become a Union Ironworker in my region.
That was my first experience with back pain so severe I couldnt dismount the bed.
I changed careers at that point in 2001. After a failed attempt at workers compensation, I began a new less physically active
Recently I had a more challenging recurrence.
In 2001 my lumbar MRI reported at l1-2 & l2-3 their is approximately 3mm posterior protrusion
At l3-4 there is very mild broad based bulging of disc
At l4-5 there is significant degenerative end plate changes at both l4 & l5. There is 4-5 mm of posterior disc protrusion. The AP dimension of the spinal canal is at the lower limits of normal, at approximately 10mm. There is mild bilateral foraminal narrowing, greater on the right secondary to discogenic and osteophytic factors.
L5-s1 there is very mild posterior bulging w/o canal or foraminal stenosis.

Until recent my back pain has been the least of my worries. My recent issues have all been bowel and bladder related.
Wednesday I will hear the results of my most recent MRI. I had that on 10/10. I am very interested in the results, looking for an explanation for the persistent pain Ive experienced in areas outside my back for all these years.