Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Pain After ALIF Due To BMP

Andy54AAndy54 Posts: 2
edited 10/13/2014 - 4:05 PM in Pain Management
After 20 years of chronic sciatic and neuropathic pain and loss of power in my left leg I ALIF operation 8 weeks. The pre-op symptoms have but receded and I was tracking to a good result. My physiotherapy was on course improving the strength in my left leg. However, 2 weeks after the op I experienced intense almost unbearable pain in my ankles and lower legs, stronger in the left than right.

My surgeon called me back in and gave me a 5 day course of a steroid Dexmethsone, which addressed the pain within hours. He discussed the possibility of BMP, which was necessary for the fusion, being the culprit but this was generally short lived. After a few days things were improving and my physio program was back as scheduled. A couple weeks after this point the pain in my legs came back with a vengeance this time it felt deep in my shin bones and left ankle. I then had unscheduled meeting with my surgeon where he told me that while the Dexmethsone address the pain he wouldn't give me any more steroids as it was not a suitable drug in terms of getting the fusion to take well. He felt the best course of action was to write to my GP and have him prescribe me with Oxycontin and leave the next phase of my recovery up to my GP.

I had an appointment with my GP a week ago where he prescribed 30mg Oxycontin twice per day along with 5mg Oxynorm for "break through" pain. It was during this meeting were the GP informed me that surgeon, who had made ALIF his speciality for over a decade and pioneered it in Australia, that I fell into a group of only 1% of ALIF patients that had this kind of reaction to BMP ie extreme pain.

I'm now 8 weeks post ALIF and am just coping with living with the intense side effects of BMP. My left foot and leg is swollen with odema, I need a walking stick to keep me stable when walking and am trying to cope with very strong pain which is only alleviated to some degree with Oxycotin.

So the question is who amongst forum members would have experienced the side effects of BMP and would they be similar to mine or marked but not as extreme as what I've described.