Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracolumbar spasms

johnny22678jjohnny22678 Posts: 1
edited 10/19/2014 - 10:14 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, my name is Johnson and in 2013 I was hit hard with a dabilitating back spasm across my mid back doing something rather benign while at work. I worked in the emergency room as well as a volunteer firefighter for 13 years. Since this all happened I have steadily gone down hill. I have had 2 MRI's that all conclude degenerative changes such as early onset of arthritis and some diffuse dic bulging. I kept having to redirect everyone to the fact it was not mu lower back and my sysmptoms were often described as "not making sense" Needless to say I am frustrated. I have had over 70 back spasms and went from the work I did to not being able to use the restroom at times due to the spasms. Finally after some time I was directed to a doctor that prescribes Baclofen which has now stopped the spasms. I take a very high dose of 30mg 4 times a day for a total of 120mg a day. At one point we lessened the dosage to see if I was experiencing a placebo affect. The spasm returned. I am being told over and over due to the lack of objective findings that this is a psychosymatic thing. I have a sprained muscle is my favorite. Someone get Guiness on the phone for I have the longest standing sprained muscle in the world. I have researched many things on the internet and yet nothing seems to fit. It was not until recently that the direction of my care is now going to a neurologist. I am awaiting this appointment. I was told the muscles along my spine have atrophied and that I am shearing. My pain happens at the thoracolumbar junction around T10-L2 and hurts when pressure is applied. Yesterday I went on a walk and could barely move. I am suffering mentally as well being diagnosed with adjustment syndrome or situational depression. I attribute this to having this pain and people telling me its in my head. I am at a loss of what to do. Why is the baclofen working? As far as I can see it only works if you have MS or if you have a spinal cord injury. I was told the shearing can cause this and the area I am concerned with is tasked with supporting us in our rotational movements. Oddly enough these are the movements that trigger my spasms. I have not has spasms since on the baclofen but I can feel the source better being that the spasm does not take over. I have left calf cramps they say are not related. I am so confused and want to move on with life. I was literally one step away of finally becoming a career firfighter and now I can barely move.