Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

November 2014 Surgery Buddies

shanna823sshanna823 Posts: 1
edited 10/23/2014 - 3:53 AM in Surgery Buddies
Hi my name is Shanna I have had been in very bad pain for about 7 years! I finally have a si joint surgery scheduled for Nov 25th!! I was hoping to find more people out there who are going thru the same thing, and I saw that there was not a surgery buddies signed up for next month!!

• I had a TLIF at L4-L5 Nov 2013, but it did not fuse, so I am having a OLIF revision here only a year later. . . .

The are going to go in through the oblique area and dig out the old cage and hammer in a new larger one with some Mastergraft and Infuse BMP.

I've done my research and seen multiple doctors, all have suggested the same thing and I'm going with the doc that is best at XLIF-OLIF's since ALIF's are so rough to recover from.

Hope to hear more from November people, keep in touch !!!
    --) Dave (--
  • I'm not having the same surgery as you but I'm having ALIF L4/L5 fusion on 15th Nov. If you just want general support I'm here
  • Hi all. This is my first back surgery and I am very nervous about it. Glad I found he site. Good luck to all my November surgery buddies!
  • Shirley,
    So you are going in for a ALIF, have you been in for surgery before? A ALIF can be a rough recovery (anything from the anterior can be), what are some of the specifics for going that route ? Do you have existing hardware in the back? or are they going to secure things from the front etc?

What happened with your L4-L5 that made you need to have a TLIF? Have they given you a run-down of materials and anything else? Recovery from a TLIF is not that bad, in a few weeks you should be up and around :)
    --) Dave (--
  • Hi all. I had a one level fusion on Monday. The first day was rough. Very naseous from anesthesia and my throat hurt so bad I could barely swallow anything. I used applesauce for my pain pills. I went home with no collar on day 2 and felt pretty good. Trying to sleep in a recliner and I'm up at 3 am bc it's hard to breathe. I guess that's a side effect and comes from being swollen. I will keep updating.
  • I have grade 1 spondy at l5 s1 but my disc has gone at l4/l5 I also have a pars defect. I've tried every injection possible, yrs of physio, acupuncture etc. Arthritis decided to join the party and fibromyalgia, in for a penny in for a pound. This is the only way my surgeon does this op so have no choices. Can't walk far or do much of anything really. I know it's going to be a rough ride but hoping it will be worth it in the end. Best wishes to all who are going in for surgery x
  • Hi my surgery is scheduled for next week... Nov 11th. My first back surgery. Doctor does not feel that we need do do a fusion at this time, MAYBE in the future. Very nervous and concerned about recovery.
  • sarahkssarahk Posts: 8
    edited 11/06/2014 - 7:55 AM
    My symptoms started about 6 months ago, right after turning 40 (go figure). I was in a car accident 11 years ago, and the injury was never an issue (didn't even know I had an injury!) until this year. I've been seeing a chiro regulary since July, had two epidural steroid injections, PT, and now I'm at the point that surgery is necessary. Good luck to everyone!
  • Almost 1 year to the day from a laminectomy from L3 to L5, and 5 steroid injections to try to relieve pain, I am having a micro discectomy at L4-5 to see is my pain can be stopped. Surgeon told me this is last chance before fusion.
    2004 - 2005 - 3 surgeries in 18 months to fix/fuse C6-C7.
    Nov 2013 - Laminectomy from L3 to S1
    Nov 2014 - Micro Discectomy L4 L5.
  • From one level C5-6 fusion. I walked 2 miles yesterday and today. Feeling better each day. Swallowing was the worst and still is tough so make sure you have lots of puréed foods like juice and smoothies. Otherwise I can't believe how great I feel!
  • Yogarunski - So glad to hear you are doing so good! I hope all of our surgeries are as successful as yours!

David - I did not have an injury, just warn out I guess. It is the only area I have a problem with. It's rather odd that just one disk would degenerate so badly, but, I am happy that is the only one. With respect to your question, if you mean by materials, the screws and rods, then yes. But, that's about it. Glad to hear the recovery is not that bad. I hope that is the case. I have had some bad luck this year and this will be my 4th surgery. I could use an easy one. :-)

Laurelmary, Shirley, Coachh and Sarahk - good luck with your surgeries this week! Please let us know how your doing.
  • I go back for follow up post op tomorrow. Today is 7 days post op. I walked 2 miles and did 20 mins on eliptical. I am able to do so much more than I thought I would be able to do. Swallowing is still tough and my neck gets stiff but I feel better than I planned to feel at this stage. Positive healing vibes to you all!!
  • Hi, having my 2nd surgery in a few days. Glad to see some are recovering well. Best wishes to those having surgery 11-11.
    C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
    C4-5 ACDF 11-2014
  • I feel pretty good. Am only having pain from surgical site, which does hurt, pain pills help. It's hard to find a comfortable spot for long, so I just keep adjusting. More later.
  • yogarunskiyyogarunski Posts: 23
    edited 11/13/2014 - 2:08 PM
    Keep up the good healing! I'm now 10 days post op from one level ACDF and rocking this recovery. I walked two miles today and then did a hard 30 mins on eliptical. I feel better every day. I've been to the gym to exercise 8 days in a row and each day gets better. I'm cooking dinner and even did some laundry today without bending too much. I'm going back to work next week, and could probably go tomorrow but will enjoy the remainder of my time off.
  • davidwright242ddavidwright242 Posts: 32
    edited 11/13/2014 - 4:26 PM
    Yoga : Glad you are doing great on your recovery, what materials did they use in your surgery to fuse ? Do you know ?

Summer : 4 other surgeries oh my, lets hope your first back surgery of the year goes great *crosses fingers*
    --) Dave (--
  • Kim CKKim C Posts: 1
    edited 11/14/2014 - 10:10 PM
    Hey y'all. I am a 45 yr old RN who got hurt one year and some change ago transferring a pt. As is turns out, I have intra and extraforaminal disc herniations of L2,3,4,&5. Grades 3 or 4. My symptoms do not 100% jive with my scans, We used discography (among every other study known) to verify which were painful, etc. Lucky me! L2, L3, and L5 were painful, but the grade 3 L4 was not. Because of the location of the herniations, a generous amount of bone needs to be removed in order to access the areas. I have significant rt leg weakness and nerve pain as well as pretty bad back pain. the delimma is that no one wants to consider fusing all 4 levels because of my age. Since L4 was asymptomatic per discogram, we are opting to anteriorly and posteriorly fuse L23 and L34 and treat L5 medically as long as we can get away with it.
    Currently, I am unable to drive, or do much of anything, and we have been a very active family of 6.
    My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 25 and I am petrified. Because it has been so long since the a cute injury, I am sure there is nerve damage that affects my rt leg greatly. I am using a quad cane due to multiple falls. Of course, nothing happens quickly with workers comp...smh!!
    Has anyone had a similar experience. As a nurse, I am well aware of the medical side, and some of the modifications at home that will be necessary in the short term, but I would appreciate any advice, etc.

• They used a cadaver bone but I don't know what kind of screws and plate. Still doing very well. Went out on a party bus last night and had a blast. A little sore today but I don't regret going at all. How is everyone else doing?
  • Hi I just had L4 5 laminectomy and disectomy. Its. Been 10 days only I still have back and leg pain. Best of luck. I a here if you need to ask anything.
    35 yrs old female, L4 L5 disectomy on November 8, 2014
  • Hey guys tomorrow I will be having a discectomy/Lam l3/l4 it really has me stressed as I have never had surgery before ....my employers disability office has only approved me to be off for 2 weeks after my surgery......? Can they legally do that ? I have been up all night due to the surgery stress and now the stress that my employer is adding by only approving me for 2 weeks to heal....... I just had to post to people that understand the pain because it seems like know one know how it feels unless they are going thru it also.... Thanks for listening all and I will try to update how thing go, I hope all my fellow November surgery buddy's are pain free after they complete the surgery. Good luck and god bless
    Spinal stenosis with neurogenic clauducation
    3 level retrolisthesis
    Bilateral Laminectomy/Discectomy surgery l3/l4 on 11-21-14 (failed)
    L3/l4 spinal Fusion 03-20-15
  • shanna823 said:
    Hi my name is Shanna I have had been in very bad pain for about 7 years! I finally have a si joint surgery scheduled for Nov 25th!! I was hoping to find more people out there who are going thru the same thing, and I saw that there was not a surgery buddies signed up for next month!!

hopefully you wonrt have to go thru what I went thru. 3 back surgeries in one year
  • Hi All,
    Progressing ok. Managing 5-6 100 metre walks a day. First bowel motion today hurt like hell but it's done. I am finding that I leave it to long before I take my next lot of pain killers so as soon as I have trouble getting comfortable I use this as an indication it's time for more. Sitting for my meals for 20 minutes and am finally eating solids again. Was getting sick of mush. Having some problems with tachycardia but otherwise I think I am going ok! Even regaining some sensation in my left foot.
    Next step, waiting on surgical ward until a bed becomes available in rehab.
  • shirley said:
    I'm not having the same surgery as you but I'm having ALIF L4/L5 fusion on 15th Nov. If you just want general support I'm here
    I had an ALIF on 10/13 and posterior rods and screws inserted on 10/15. When I am out of bed I am required to wear an Alpine brace. It is like a mid-evil torture devise and I can only tolerate sitting for 30 minutes maximum. I think it may be because the ridged plastic digs into my posterior incisions or maybe because I'm not all that tall at 5'1". I'm in considerable pain when I take it off and go back to bed. As a result I think I'm spending way too much time flat on my back in bed. I didn't receive any activity instructions from the surgeon at time of discharge from the hospital or in his office two weeks later. I see him again next Tuesday and will talk with him about the brace. At four weeks I stopped all narcotics and only take two ES two times daily. Do any of you wear an Alpine lumbar brace and what info did you receive? Does it hurt you? I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance so I can't believe this is normal. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
    I forgot to mention that the ALIF was a piece of cake. The next morning I went up and down eight stairs with PT and walked all around the nursing unit with my front wheeled walker and my family. Getting in and out of bed was not a problem. They gave me 5mg of Norco and Valium at 10am and 10 pm and I was very comfortable. My incision is only about 2" long right under my navel - exactly the same size and place of a previous laparoscopic hysterectomy. I know you've already had your surgery and I hope yours went as well. Continued healing to all.
  • Hi. I'm Desiree and I am new and a late entry... I had a l4/5 s1 TLIF on November 5. I am fairing okay. I am definitely learning somethinng new each day. The positive is the pain I had pre surgery is gone and now I just have some differernt aches and pains! Doing more walking each day...

L4/5 S1 Decompression PSF with TLIF 11/5/14
    Spondylolithesis (congenital)
  • After a bumpy ride home in an ambulance on Thursday I am finally home after 2.5 weeks in hospital after my L5/S1 ALIF. I was definitely the youngest person in rehab at the tender age of 32. I found the Occupational Therapist in rehab amazing and as she predicted found things that may be an issue have presented themselves. I am unable to use the wash basin in the bathroom or our kitchen sink.

I am still taking Endone, Targin and temazepam to help me sleep. Along with antibiotics for an infection I picked up in hospital. I have cut back to 3 Endone a day and am no longer taking Valium as a muscled relaxant.

I have regained a lot of feeling in my leg. All of the numbness in my left hand has gone. Still sore in the hip joints. Also getting headaches but I think that's from my upper back and being in bed. Doing my assigned physio program and walking as much as possible (had a few days off from walking as I sprained my ankle in hospital).

I am still suffering from the slow bowels but hey that will get there too with time according to the doc!

Positive I shall heal 100%!