Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ellie52eellie52 Posts: 6
edited 10/22/2014 - 3:51 PM in Pain Medications
yes my sister takes 12-14 hydrocodones a day,325 of tylenol and she is 50, she seems to sweat so much at night the bed sheets are soaked! no health problems, not overweight,she smokes, drinks caffeind, has had no period in 5 years! but my ? is could her sweating be a sign or cause of withdrawing and not getting her pain meds when she sleeps? she only sweats this much when she hits the 6th hour of sleep, b4 that she doesnt sweat at all! she wont go to the dr, so im begging for all help from you smart people! she is a amazingly healthy woman, but as i said she only sweats buckets when she has been asleep in a prone state for over 6 hrs, i thnk this is her body going through withdrw from the pain meds? i hope so atleast! she has chronic pain from surgery years ago, but i personally dont thnk she needs this many lortabs a day, but she insists! she also takes soma compound, 2 a day she has taken both of these meds for 8-10 years! also, we live in massach, so it is not the hot weather.i cannot find a answer anywhere to my ? or the reason, also she does sweat occas during evening hrs but rarely, she did a year ago but it stopped, just a hot flash occasnlly. thx so much

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/22/2014 - 3:51 PM
    per day? For what condition? She is taking far more than the recommended maximum daily dose of tylenol , even at 325 mg for chronic pain treatment patients. At a minimum she is taking 3900 mg of tylenol per day, and if she is taking 14 tablets, she is taking an additional 650 mg more......that is if she is being truthful about about the amount that she is taking and is not taking more than she is admitting to.
    No doctor is going to prescribe that amount of tylenol to any patient, no matter how long she has been on the hydrocodone. It is unsafe and can cause liver damage.
    The sweating is most likely related to her body going into withdrawal from the massive amounts of vicoden she is consuming per day......
    It is time to have a frank discussion with her, and talk to her about getting some professional help.
  • she is going to pain management in massasch and is prescrbed 360 monthly thx though 4 ur opinion
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/23/2014 - 2:25 AM
    cause liver damage. It may not be what you want me to tell you, but it is the truth.
    The recommended daily dosage for someone who is taking a medication with tylenol was 4 grams or 4000 mg per day, but it was found that that much tylenol causes liver damage and can lead to liver failure, amongst other issues.
    The recommended daily dosage for long term users was then lowered to 3000 mg per day, and now is currently 2000 mg per day, due to the long term effects, the amount of tylenol in other over the counter medications, cold remedies, etc.......
    At 12 pills per day, and 3900 mg of tylenol alone, she either needs to be changed to a long acting opiate in place of all of that vicoden or changed to something without tylenol........5 years of that much tylenol can cause her serious health problems and obviously isn't effective in managing her pain if she is having breakthrough withdrawal symptoms during the night.......If she is taking 12-14 pills per day and is sleeping 6 hours, she is taking far too much vicoden in 18 hours.
    I'm sorry that it might not be what you want to hear, but I will tell you the truth. I don't know what her dosing schedule is, but just because a dosing schedule may permit someone to take 12 tablets per day, doesn't mean that they should or are supposed to take that many every day.
  • Agree with Sandi - Way to much Tylenol! (and Hydrocodone). Perhaps quantity is off a bit.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • There are plenty of other narcotic pain medications, with much lower risks that your sister could be taking. Has she ever tried other meds? Everyone's concerned because its really unheard of for a patient to be taking that quantity of Tylenol. My doc won't prescribe more than 4 Hydrocodone a day. It's the Tylenol that really worries me not the narcotic med. Her pain levels & the amount she needs to function is between her & her doctor. No-one else knows about her pain. From what you say she's staying active & doing well. That's great! I understand not wanting to change meds when things are working but the disastrous effects of Tylenol are now well documented. Do you know if she has regular liver enzyme tests? If not she should go to her GP for blood tests.

An extended release narcotic med could stop the night sweats if they're withdrawal...they really could be. If there's a reason she can't take ER meds there are ones similar to what she's taking without any Tylenol added. Most PM docs change a patient over to ER meds if long term narcotic therapy is needed.

I hope we've helped. I hope it didn't come off as critising your sister, she's just filling her prescription & taking her meds as directed. It's her doc that's prescribing very dangerous amounts of Tylenol that shocking. I'd be very worried. I'm sorry.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I just wanted to add... My vitals skyrocket & I get sweats when my pain spikes. Does she own a blood pressure monitor? It could be worth checking if anything else is going on when she gets sweaty. It could be a reaction to pain like me.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • ellie52eellie52 Posts: 6
    edited 10/25/2014 - 7:03 AM
    thx so much to all replys! i just find it weird that the only time she sweats is when she sleeps more than 6 hrs! i just wondered if any one else had the problem she does! and yes her dr is in prct and supp 2 b vry good! he has her on 2 evry 6 hrs! if she is awke and goes 6 hrs no sweats ut asleep is a diff stry! i was worried it could b her thyroid she is 2 afraid to ask thinking he may put her on something l\else and she doesnt want anything else stronger! she functions normally belve it or not on them! u really cannot even tell she is on them! bless u all!

As this is an international site please would you type in full not use text abbreviations
    Spine-health moderator team
  • Greg1978GGreg1978 Posts: 28
    edited 10/25/2014 - 9:02 AM
    I agree that's a lot of Tylenol when I first got on pain meds I started with the 5-325's I was taking 6-8 a day after a year I started getting stomach issues to the point I would puke each time I took my dose. My doc ended up changing me to the ones without the Tylenol and I havnt had any promblems with my meds since. Good luck to her and I think she sould get some blood work done so they can look at her liver values to see if there is damage being done .
  • Ellie. That's normal with long term med use. You wouldn't know I was on my meds. After a short while you don't get any 'high' or feeling from them. Just a reduction in pain. Very few chronic pain patients ever suffer from addiction. I don't know your sister but I'm really not concerned at the amount of meds she takes. I haven't done the math but I'm sure I'm on that or more.
    I really would have a GP health check though. I have blood tests at least once a year. It could answer some questions for her. I used to get terrible night sweats. I had to change my clothes & sleep on towels! Ugh! But I was on meds that didn't agree with me. Is she only on pain meds or others you haven't mentioned (Cymbalta, Lyrica, muscle relaxants etc)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • DobieloverDDobielover Posts: 17
    edited 10/29/2014 - 4:32 AM
    I was recently taken off hydrocodone-6 times a day evenly spaced. I had night sweats nightly but also any time I would get overheated I would break out in a full body sweat and get flushed. I live in Texas, so this happens frequently. I am also going through menopause as confirmed by testing of hormone levels at my GYN's office. So he was treating me with hormone replacement. However I have noticed that since I stopped taking the hydrocodone there has been a huge decrease in the sweating. For myself I would say there is a definite connection between the medicine and heavy sweating, not just withdrawls and sweating.
    More importantly though, as everyone else has said your sister is on a large dose of Tylenol AND hydrocodone. Hydrocodone and Soma as well. The additive effects of those in her brain cannot be good no matter how normal she seems on the outside. I was on that combo for awhile and when the soma was stopped it was like someone had turned on a light! As in "oh, that's what I've been missing!!" Also since you said her doctor has her on 2 every 6 hours that should be 8 per day NOT 12-14. It sounds like a slippery slope to me. I think she needs to see her family doc and have someone take a careful look at this with her for her own safety and well-being.
  • I take 3 Vicodin a day, I break them in half and take a half every 4 hours, it only reduces my pain, I was afraid of the Tylenol too. I still do even on a dose below the max. My sweating is just as bad, but this discussion helped me realize, I've been sweating terribly the last couple weeks but my pain is way up. That's why I'll bet, I just always blame it on meds and hormones, I always forget about pain, thanx guys
  • ellie52 said:
    she is going to pain management in massasch and is prescrbed 360 monthly thx though 4 ur opinion
    I can relate percosets 5 mgs make me sweat I'm new here and a chronic pain patient on Morphine and Percosets every 6 hours and valium 10 mgs the morphine doesn't touch my pain at all and the doctors don't seem to under stand
  • My primary care Dr has tested my blood for everything she can think of to figure out my soaking night sweats. But mine are intermittent which makes it more confusing?!?
    I am a 7 almost 8 year chronic pain patient.
    I just had my 11th surgery in the last 7+ years.
    I've changed recently been trying different combinations of pain meds since after 7 long years Percocet and OxyContin stopped being effective for me. The night sweats started many months before the med changes.
    The Tylenol is the first concern for your sister!
    Liver failure could kill an otherwise healthy person!!
    L5-S1 micro x2, L5-S1 fusion, ACDF C5-7, Anterior and posterior cervical fusion C4-7, plus 4 right arm surgeries:(
  • jenniferlynjjenniferlyn Posts: 2
    edited 01/04/2015 - 12:41 AM
    I find I break out in sweats almost EXACTLY 3 hours after taking my ER pain meds, you can set your watch by it! In doing research I discovered that my ER meds are at their highest levels in the blood plasma at 3 hours, and sweating/overheating is a definite side effect one can have from narcotics.

That said, as a pain patient for 21 years, I have to agree that the amount of meds your sister takes is WAY high, especially the Tylenol portion, which is the most toxic part of the drug. Surprised her doc hasn't switched to an ER if only to eliminate the Tylenol, not to mention having to "reup" your meds every few hours must be a pain in the arse!

My thoughts and prayers for you and your sister, MY sister is my best friend in the world, so I understand your concerns. Goid luck and God Bless.