Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain from Scheuermanns Kyphosis

artieeeeaartieeee Posts: 3
edited 10/24/2014 - 4:53 AM in Chronic Pain
Hey everyone! I've been frequenting this site a lot lately reading everyones stories and trying to gather information that could possibly even help me. This seems like a great place and everybody is so generous offering their time helping answer others problems.

I have been diagnosed with Scoliosis, Scheuermanns Kyphosis, arthritis, DDD and I believe Sciatica. I am constantly in pain 24/7. I currently take gabapenton, robaxin, meloxicam and norco 5mb x4 a day. The norcos seem to be the only thing that really works, but they only last 2 hours tops. It takes an hour to kick in then it blocks pain for only an hour after that, so it's really only an hour of relief. I'm starting to reach my breaking point and don't know what to do. I have been geting Epidural injections in my spine monthly, and they seem to not work anymore. My doctor is planning on a RFA soon (insurance denied me 4 times so far) so I think I will just pay out of pocket.

Sorry for kind of rambling, but I just want to give yuo the back story. SO my question is, how do I go about talking to my Pain management doctor on possibly giving me a different pain killer or upping m,y dose. Would a higher dose norco even help reducing thje main longer? There are days I will leave work crying and limping because the pain is just too much. I'm 22 years old and feel like an old man because I cant even do basic tasks without needing to sit.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more information about my condition or have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you so much for reading this and at least listening to what I have to say.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/24/2014 - 4:43 AM
    Have you consulted with a board certified spine surgeon to see what can be done about your condition other than just pain medications? What dose of gabapentin are you taking? It is a medication used to treat nerve pain but it has a very wide window of dosage ranges for people........somewhere between 100-3600 mg per day, depending on what dosage the patient gets relief at.............however, it must be taken every day, exactly as directed for you to get any benefit from it......the same as far as being taken every day for muscle relaxers as well. They don't work when you only take them sporadically......
    Norco is an instant release medication and it normally takes about a half hour before you feel it start to work. We don't make medication recommendations, since your doctor is in the best position to determine what he thinks may be helpful for your individual condition. So if the medication isn't working well, you need to discuss that with him.

• I'm taking Gabapentin 300mg x6 a day, and my robaxin is 750mg 3x a day. I take everything as directed and just don't get the relief I need. I plan on getting an RFA and hopefully it will stop me from needing pain medications, but until then they are the only things that sort of help me get through the day. My biggest fear is telling my doctor that what she has me on isn't enough and her think I'm just in it for the medications. I've been getting spinal epidurals for months now and nothing seems to be helping me anymore.
    I guess I'm just looking for other people who have had similar experiences that would like to share their stories, outcomes, and tips on how to get a doctor to see things how the patient does.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/24/2014 - 6:04 AM

Read those links.........there is a link to a pain log/diary.....many patients use them to document the things that set off flare ups of pain, and to show their doctors how effective or not, their overall pain management program is......
    While injections , oral medications are all part of a good overall comprehensive pain management program, there are many things that you don't mention.........physical therapy, ice, heat, massage, accupuncture or accupressure, swimming, regular excercise, stretching, TENS, and other eastern modalities, distraction, guided imagery, music, that all can add to the overall pain control that we get..........each piece that you add to your toolbox, leads to a tiny reduction in overall pain and control........