Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recently started lower back pain

edited 10/25/2014 - 4:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum. Recently I started having some lower back pain. I just want to describe it here, and perhaps some of you might be able to help, or offer suggestions and advice.

1) I'm 30 years old. I've never had any lower back pain or pain at any other region of spine before. However, ever since childhood I've had a rather "hunched back", so my spine position probably isn't completely normal to start with.

2) My lower back pain started recently around 2 weeks ago, when I also developed a cold. I don't know whether the two are connected or not but probably it's just a coincidence. I've just recovered from the cold, but the lower back pain has got worse since yesterday. Before it was very mild and just in the background and I don't even notice it much at all, but now it hurts quite a bit everytime I try to stand up from a sitting position or trying to get up from bed, and I have a lot of difficulty in bending forward, it hurts quite a bit when I try to do that.

3) Bending my spine in the other direction (backwards) seems to be fine. I feel a bit of background pain almost constantly as well, but my mobility isn't intrinsically affected. I can still walk, climb stairs etc, albeit a bit slower than before.

4) The pain is mostly limited to the lower back (lumbar) region, sometimes I feel some muscle pain in the buttocks area too, and very occasionally a bit of the feeling goes down to the thigh area. But generally speaking my legs are fine, and there is no feelings of pain at all below the knee (and even in the thigh region only very mildly and very occasionally).

5) This might be muscle strain but it is certainly not directly due to any physical accident or excessive activity etc. I've not really done any physical activity in recent weeks that could have caused my current lower back pain in any direct sense. Actually I was going to the gym with a personal trainer regularly until this month. This month (October) I've temporarily suspended my gym activities because I'm doing a 4-week IT course at the moment which will end on 31 October. So originally my plan was to resume gym training in November. When I did gym training before October, I occasionally had some muscle strain, but never in the lower back or any of the spine areas.

6) I will book an appointment with my GP doctor next week. The actual appointment itself will be later but I just want to check that this current lower back pain is not due to some underlying problem with the spinal column (i.e. the bones etc) itself.

7) At the moment I'm taking a bit of Ibuprofen (at reduced dosage) to reduce the pain, and also I'm using a rubber container filled with hot water and putting it next to my lower back to make it feel a bit better. I still plan to continue with all of my originally planned activities in the next few days (unless the pain gets much worse), including physical action, going out etc., though I will probably take things a bit more slowly and carefully. However if the pain continues into November, then I might delay the resumption of gym training for 1 or 2 more weeks.

Any comments, suggestions or advice?

Thanks a lot

No one is qualified to guess at what might be causing your low back pain. If it continues, consulting with your doctor is your best option, for proper diagnosis and treatment.