Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgeon too optimistic? Tliff L4/5 S1

ColoradoRobCColoradoRob Posts: 11
edited 10/25/2014 - 7:05 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, just curious if most people have acutely calculated the percentage of spondylolithesis they had?
Over 2 separate mri's spanning 6 years I went from 17mm to 22mm. I honestly did not have a lot of the pain others say they had as I was active playing ice hockey, wake-boarding, skiing , golfing you name it. I am a 54yo male who just had had enough of the numbing feet and a chronic ( but manageable pain) achy sciatic (R). I was told by the Doc that if the slippage continued I would end up losing my bowels etc and that was enough to make me jump into surgery a few weeks later. I had never had any treatments, pills or any type of medical treatments on my back going into surgery ; although I knew what the problem was after the first mri. Not sure how it happened but I played college sports and was in a few car rollovers in the day so who knows............
I'm just curious where other people were at ( slippage wise) as now that I have had many days to sit to reconsider and have done a ton of research, My wife is convinced I did the right thing ( as she nagged me about never being able to go on long walks or hikes ) but after 17 weeks I am NOT so convinced!
My surgeon had said I would be able to play Hockey again at 4 months but that seems ridiculousness at this point. I am back lifting at the gym, swimming 900 meters, riding the recumbent bike, walking incline on the treadmill, stretching, light Yoga and on and on to try to re-train the muscles but sill can not shake the chronic muscle fatigue, numb R quad, on and off numb R foot and the constant feeling that my Fused area feels like a block of cement stuck in my back.......I have extreme difficulty getting up and down out of a chair and walk with the utmost awkward stride due to that chronic feeling of just being hit in the back with a baseball bat .
6 screws, Titanium spacer between L4 and L5 and the curved rod and hardware.
Thanks for any feedback and comments!