Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back pain without any diagnosis

littlea80llittlea80 Posts: 1
edited 10/28/2014 - 4:54 PM in Chronic Pain
Hey everyone, I'm new here and wanted to see if anyone had some insight into my current situation.

I am a 23 year old man and about 1 and a half years ago I started feeling pain in my lower back on extension and after exercise. I used to lift weights a lot so my doctor told me to rest it as he thought it was a lifting injury. Resting seemed to help a bit, but a few months later I noticed the pain getting worse and becoming constant even without exercise. I got lumbar X-rays, MRIs, and a bone scan, all of which came back negative for any inflammation. They did show minor scoliosis, mild congenital stenosis, and a couple minor disc bulges, but every doctor has said these shouldn't be causing my symptoms.

I did physical therapy for 3 months with no change in symptoms. I've had SI injections, facet injections, trigger point injections, and facet nerve blocks, all of which produced no lasting relief. The facet injection did provide minor relief for a few days though.

My doctors have suspected ankylosing spondylitis as well as a host of other conditions, but all the blood work and tests have come back negative, leaving me without any diagnosis.

At this point I can make it through my daily life, but that's about it. Any significant exertion (jogging, etc.) and the pain becomes too much and I have to stop whatever I was doing. My doctors have told me that they've tried everything and the only thing that can be done right now is wait and see if and how it progresses.

Does anyone else have any experience with undiagnosed pain or pain that doesn't respond to any treatment? How has it worked out for you? Did you eventually get a diagnosis? At this point I really just want to know what's going on.

Thanks for any insight you all have.

For some situation, it may take a long time before the formal diagnosis is made. At times it can almost be like a detective game. Tests are done, clues are given, but that might not give you the answer. This can be very frustrating, but in due time, the final results may be in. At times, those results may say, no trouble found, which can upset you, or they can pinpoint the problem[/b\

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator.