Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L-2 through S-1 post op 9 surgeries in 13mo.

Bigshawn1234567BBigshawn1234567 Posts: 45
edited 10/30/2014 - 10:35 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey guys for those who remember me an to those who don't, I'm back with a small adage to my journey. And wow what a journey it has been. For those who remember me I'm sorry for sounding like a wuss so many of my posts. I have to be honest though It has been the toughest thing I've ever gone through. Being an athlete for 30yrs of my life and having a good idea of what pain is and what I thought it took to overcome my back challenges has been a humbling experience. I'm still going through the aftermath of dealing with pain and I'm unsure still if going through the surgeries did any good if not make things worse. I can tell you without a doubt I take twice or three times the amount of pain meds in a day now than I did before the first surgery.

But the one thing I can back to let you guys know about was that the fighter in me is returning slowly but surely. I've never been more serious when I tell you how much this experience kicked my ass mentally and physically. I'm starting to make strides physically to regain myself again I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to do. I went on disability after all of this. And that wasn't easy. They don't just hand out disability papers to just everyone. And what little you get when you are awarded never comes close to the amount of money you were making. And if it hadn't been for my family I would've been homeless and forgotten about.

Right now if asked would I go through it again knowing what I know now I'd say NO. I would've really focused on core training. Being physically fit. Not a beast athlete. But just lean and mean. FIT is the term that comes to mind. Between that and the meds I was on along with the occasional injections and possibly down the road with the spinal stimulator. Anything but go through that surgery. I had lots of complications is why I had 9 total over the last year which took it out of me but for those who are reading this post head these next words carefully. When your surgeon says ok lets do this but understand this is a big surgery. That translates into "you are about to go through one of the toughest obstacles you've ever faced". I've had my share of surgeries. ACL, C5-C6 fusion, rt shoulder capsule repair, 3 meniscus repairs in the knees. Take all of those and add a 18 wheeler running you over multiple times and you might come close to being able to describe how hard this surgery was for me.

Wanted to also thank those on the forum for your kind words. There were some really tough days I didn't know if I was going to make it or not. I'll check back from time to time to see how you guys are holding up and offer any wisdom when possible.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 11/02/2014 - 3:11 AM
    You used the same analogy I did post op........I felt like someone had taken multiple 18 wheelers, and driven up and down my spine, until they crushed my spine into something less than kibble........
    9 months isn't all that long in your recovery, but it sure feels that way doesn't it? It seems like an eternity.........hopefully, these next several months will be the ones where you start feeling a lot better and see the upside of having the surgeries.....your body has been through a lot, and it is going to take a lot of time to see where you end up........
    Take care.