Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Common Symptoms of Fibro (as originally posted by TerriJV at the old SH)

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Fibromyalgia
Anyone have this symptom? Is it related to fibro? Is it just me? Ask your fellow fibrotalkers!

Note: You dont have to have all of these symptoms to be diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Use this list to help journal your symptoms and any progression you feel you are experiencing and CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR. If your doctor isn't willing to even consider looking into your problems then "shop around."

__ recurrent flu-like illness
__ recurrent sore throats, red and injected
__ painful lymph nodes under the arms and neck
__ muscle and joint aches with tender and trigger points - up to 18 of them
__ night sweats and fever
__ severe nasal and other allergies
__ irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
__ weight change - usually gain
__ heart palpitations
__ mitral valve prolapse
__ severe PMS
__ yeast infections
__ rashes and itching
__ uncomfortable or frequent urination
__ interstitial bladder cystitis
__ chest pains (non-cardiac)
__ temporomandibular joint dysfunction (in the jaw)
__ hair loss
__ carpal tunnel syndrome
__ cold hands and feet
__ dry eyes and mouth
__ severe and debilitating fatigue
__ widespread pain
__ other chronic illness(es) usually present (like diabetes, hypoglycemia, asthma, lupus, ms, etc.)
__ numbness in the limbs, not painful like pins & needles
__ painful swelling in the hands, legs, feet, neck
__ GERDs (gastro-esophageal reflux disorder)
__ �growing pains� start in childhood and teens, continue into adulthood
__ widespread body pain during/after physical exertion

__ attention deficit disorder
__ spatial disorientation
__ calculation difficulties
__ memory disturbance
__ communication difficulties (problems speaking, confusing words)

__ depression
__ anxiety and panic attacks
__ personality changes, usually for the worse
__ emotional lability (mood swings)

__ sleep disturbances
__ headaches
__ changes in visual acuity
__ numb or tingling feelings
__ burning sensations
__ light headedness
__ feeling 'spaced out'
__ desequilibrium
__ frequent unusual nightmares and disturbing dreams
__ tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
__ difficulty in moving your tongue to speak
__ severe muscle weakness
__ susceptibility to muscle, tendon, ligament injury
__ intolerance to bright lights
__ intolerance to alcohol
__ intolerance to sound
__ extreme sensitivity to medications and their side-effects
__ alteration of taste, smell, and hearing
__ insomnia
__ inability to achieve stage 4 restorative sleep
__ morning stiffness in the muscles and joints
__ restless leg syndrome
__ muscle spasms
__ muscle quakiness and shivering during/after activity or exercise
__ sleep paralysis (related to stage 4 sleep deprivation)

********Always consult a qualified professional before acting on any information or advice you find on this site or anywhere on the Internet**********

Another Symptoms List:

Fibromyalgia / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Restless Leg Syndrome

Brain Fog
difficulty concentrating - can't recall words / names - using wrong word - memory lapses - overwhelmed performing multiple tasks - low mental acuity - varies from day to day

unilateral (both left and right side) pain usually - in soft tissues - feels like "bones hurt" - generalized - radiating - gnawing aching - numbness, tingling, prickling, "pins and needles" - burning in hands, arms, feet, legs, and sometimes face / jaw - some pain always present - firm touch can cause discomfort - worse in morning, improves throughout day, worsens at night - affected by activity level, weather, sleep patterns, and stress, foods

worse on awakening and after prolonged sitting or standing in one position
muscle tightness / lack of flexibility, especially legs, back, shoulders

chronic - moderate to severe or extreme exhaustion - disabling - muscle twitching - muscle weakness - shakiness - can cause long periods of sleeping - strong need to fall asleep / a quick nap often refreshes, but fatigue returns

Exercise Intolerance
too much or wrong exercise may worsen FMS symptoms

grip - body wide - suddenly drop objects - clumsy hands - extreme weakness all over

impaired - can be in all areas - can't seem to pick feet up over obstacles

forward body posture / typing, desk sitting, assembly line work can cause chest and upper body (thoracic) pain / dysfunction. unable to move body if severe

Disequilibrium / balance[u
tilting causes disorientation / nausea - dizziness - light-headedness - not able to adjust quickly

painful, sensitive locations on the body corresponding to branching of the arteries

Restless Leg Syndrome
periodic limb movement disorder - cannot get settled down

trouble falling asleep - waking at all hours - not rested when awake - easily awakened - abnormal sleep pattern

Serotonin Reuptake
anxiety - depression - obsessive compulsive - procrastination - easily irritated / dissatisfied with work, home and life in general - "negative minded", social anxiety, panic attacks

over-sensitive to smell, noise, bright light, certain foods, medicines - change in weather - feel chilled or cold when others are not - feel excessively warm

"paresthesia" = abnormal neurological sensations
"hyperesthesia" = increased neurological sensations

thinning - dry - dull

Fingernails and ToenailsCoordination
soft and break -

itch - rash - small "ricelike" bumps - nicks bleed more easily - greasier skin -
deep painful blemishes on face, torso, arms and legs - nose tender / outbreaks on the sides sub-cutaneous, painful swelling that can't open to surface

non-existent and insufficient are more common, but some FM's sweat profusely

numbness, tingling - not flexible - palms and soles of feet blotchy - poor hand-eye - calluses and corns on feet more painful and irritating - dry - in severe FMS hands can lose all activity and turn back toward arms, palms first

sensation of swelling (edema) in hands and feet - ankles - throughout body

chronic - "ice pick" - muscular (tension) and migraine headaches - severe

problems with focus / skeletal tracking muscles of the eyes - "visual confusion" and nausea;
* Eyes
vision not clear - like looking through Saran Wrap - frequent prescription changes - don't sparkle

* Eyes
dry or burning

reduced acuity - feel stuffy - tinnitus (ringing or whining in ears) - waxier - may feel damp inside

chronic problems - closed-up feeling in nose and sinuses - sinus infections - easily catch colds and flu - chronic runny nose - non-allergic rhinitis = nasal congestion / discharge and sinus pain - post nasal drip causes throat problems

tongue sore / swollen tastebuds - tender gums / backside of lips and roof of mouth blistered - dry - white coat on tongue like soft sand grains as tastebuds shed abnormally - excess mucus - yellow scum on teeth

very acidic - thick - pH test may show 4.0 before treatment. Ideal body pH is 7.40

grinding and clinching during sleep - splitting /cracking - require caps

TMJ - Temperomandibular Joint Dysfunction Syndrome

trouble swallowing - weak, coarse voice - choking - spasms if food too dry

Acid Reflux
often not relieved by proton pump inhibitor meds

Irritable Bowel Syndrome
alternating constipation and diarrhea - spastic colon - cramps - bloating - ulcerative gastritis

very frequent - small amounts - incontinence / leaking - urgent - typically in the absence of a bladder infection - odd odor or color

rapid or irregular heart rate - congestion can mimic heart blockage symptoms

Neurally Mediate Hypotension
drop in BP and heart rate on standing - tilting backward can cause disorientation

shortness of breath - wheezing - deep hard cough - Costochondralgia (costochondritis) pain where ribs meet sternum / often mistaken for heart disease

stiff - cracks & pops - sore with movement

bulged / herniated discs in lumbar - stiff - sore - back "goes out" - weakness - pain

Axial Skeletal Pain
in cervical spine, anterior chest, thoracic spine, or low back

Stenosis of Spine
(narrowing inside spinal canal)

Carpal Tunnel
EMG tests will show this, but with treatment for FMS may clear up immediately

grinds down - knees, etc. noisy, rough, painful

Weight Gain
puffy all over - gain for no reason

Pelvic/Female Reproductive System
no periods - skipped periods
Dysmenorrhea - difficult and painful menstruation - cramps
Dyspareunia - painful sexual intercourse
Dysuria - painful urination

Bladder Infection
Endometriosis - tissue resembling uterine mucous membrane occurs in pelvic cavity
Vulvadynia - unprovoked burning, stinging, irritation or rawness of the female genitalia

Libido (physical passion) - can be low or non-existent

Vaginal lubrication - can be inadequate or non-existent

Manifestation of Symptoms
severity, presentation and location lead to separate diagnosis, although believed to be related to FMS:

Myofascial Pain Syndrome (MPS)
very painful spots (trigger points) form in taut bands in muscles or other connective tissues

Sleep Apnea

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP)
one of the valves of the heart bulges during a heartbeat - causes click or murmur

Raynaud's phenomenon
intermittent bilateral attacks of ischaemia (low oxygen state) of fingers, toes, ears or nose, marked by severe pallor, paraesthesia and pain. Cold or emotional stimuli triggers it / heat relieves. A circulatory problem affecting the small blood vessels of skin.

dry mucous membranes, as of the eyes and mouth

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndromes

Ulcerative Gastritis

Ulcerated Esophagus

Other Names

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (viral precursor to FMS)
Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome
Myalgic Encephalopathy
Muscular Rheumatism
Musculoskeletal Pain Syndrome
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Nonarticular Rheumatism
Periarticular Fibrositis
Rheumatoid Myositis
Tension Myalgia

May be related or subset of symptoms:

Polymalgia rheumatica
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder
Gulf War Syndrome / some cases
Peripheral Neuropathy / some cases - cannot feel heat, cold, etc, correctly in extremities
Rheumatoid Arthritis - recent research shows deficiencies of Hyaluronan in joints

Often Mistaken With

Hypothyroidism (low thyroid production)
Systemic lupus
Multiple Sclerosis
Rheumatoid Arthritis
"Growing pains" - especially if the child has difficulty sleeping.
Lyme disease
Post Polio Syndrome
Adult ADD
Hypochondriasis - preoccupation with bodily functions / thinking something is wrong

FMS Facts

Misnomer: "fibro" = fibrous tissues (tendons and ligaments) / "my" = muscles / "algia" = pain.

80% of FM's are women of working age - can affect all age groups / men / all races / worldwide.

33% of FM's have (TMJ) dysfunction, affecting jaw joints and surrounding muscles.

FM has existed throughout history and the world.

May require a predisposing factor, possibly inherited, as well as a precipitating factor: trauma, viral infection, stress, history of abuse or neglect, rear-end car accident. Having a baby, difficult surgery, etc.

Fibromyalgia is not a form of depression. Depression can be a component of FMS.

Not infectious, or many patient's spouses would have it, but don't.

FM's are overly sensitive to stimuli (painful) throughout the body.

A spouse's snoring will disturb sleep and worsen symptoms .

A regular sleep schedule helps.

• thought I would bring this list back to the top again in case some new people join in and would benefit from the knowledge...

blessings to all....
  • I am having a bad attack of fibro, the chest pains, are so weird, and sickness, flu like symtoms, but not flu, bones are painful, its the fatigue i cant deal with x
  • hello backpainishell (angie) . i have read the previous post on symptoms of fibro. i do have it, i know. BUT i am looking at all the list. and it seems i have 85% of them. my problem is i even have chronic regional pain syndrome also know as CRPS, or RSD. it is also painful. i feel i am feeling the height of my fibro right now. i am so tired all the time, i have no energy, i have to force myself to do things, even taking a shower sometimes. i can sleep all night, so to speak, (with intermittent pain , and getting up to use restroom wakes me up all the time). then i can sleep all day. i am feeling like i have the flu, and the nausea, with broken ribs, due to a bad dream, rolling out of bad dream. also on her list. i do not want to go anywhere, if it weren't for my 3 kids, having to take them places, and school, and my loving husband. i would be laying in the bed all the time. i feel for you backpaininshell. please feel free to pm me anytime. i do not no where to turn sometimes, and i have been crying alot more lately also. tomorrow i go to pain mgt. , we will see what they can do for me. i am not sure of drs. anymore also. it keeps dragging on and on, it seems like my body has fallen into a state that i cannot get out of. i hope we both get some answers soon. LEO
  • That is a really long list of symptoms..it almost sounds like fibro is a virus of some kind. Have you been checked for I infectious diseases? I worked with a woman who thought she had this,turned out she had Parvo virus. Another friend of I mine also thought this was what she had..it was lyme disease.
  • ellenwilsoneellenwilson Posts: 9
    edited 02/05/2013 - 12:37 AM
    This list seems to be very long but I could know the symptoms associated with Fibro. Thanks for making such post. This would suffice gather the symptoms all at one place.
This discussion has been closed.